Revert back to Tiger

Reaction score
I have read that people are having problems Leopard. I ordered a copy now I am scared to install it. If a did a clean install and had a lot of problems could I uninstall Leopard and reinstall Tiger. I am new to Mac so I do not know a lot about the system, still learning and do not want to get into something I would not know how to fix. I read Switchers everyday for tips.. everyone is so helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Before attempting ANY major upgrade you should backup your system.

Especially now that external space is so inexpensive these days.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
I agree with mac747, definitely back up first - use either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to make a bootable backup. Then, when you do install Leopard, you can do an Archive and install (which is what I do), which will make yet another copy of your system and place it in a "Previous Systems" folder. Once it finishes, and you have verified that everything is working as it should, and all data is where it should be, you can delete the "Previous Systems" folder to reclaim the space. Then, after say a few weeks or a month, replace your bootable backup of Tiger with a bootable backup of your new Leopard system. :)

Reaction score
The reason people are having problems, is because of "app enhancer" is installed. This was used for the program called "clear dock". i had the "pale-blue" screen of death all day and had to manually delete those files in "user-mode".
Everything is running fine. I am going to back up everything now and do a clean install. Some things seem to be running sluggish right now.
And also to give me a piece of mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
The reason people are having problems, is because of "app enhancer" is installed. This was used for the program called "clear dock". i had the "pale-blue" screen of death all day and had to manually delete those files in "user-mode".
Everything is running fine. I am going to back up everything now and do a clean install. Some things seem to be running sluggish right now.

I think app enhancer is installed if you have ShapeShifter installed as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If a did a clean install and had a lot of problems could I uninstall Leopard and reinstall Tiger.
You can always go back. But as the others have said, back up.

I think a backward install would best be done by a clean install. The other options seem risky to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

That apparently is NOT 100% true. Folks who never had it installed still had issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
With any OS upgrade, a certain percentage of people will have problems. It may be 5%, 3% or 1%.

Looking at those percentages, it's up to you whether you want to install or not.

I personally see no reason not to install. You won't get a lower chance of anything going wrong changing from Tiger to Leopard.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And I had Application Enhancer, Shapeshifter with ClearDock and several other Unsanity products installed on my machine and while they did not function after a Simple Upgrade, I also had no bluescreen issues during the installation.

Now, I did go through and turn off all the apps I had loading at startup, including Shapeshifter, SuperDuper, Logitech Control Center and and several others. The same advice about removing peripherals during OS upgrades also applies to turning off these types of items - In Windows, this would also include Anti-virus software, Spybot's Teatimer and like programs.

And just because a particular issue has been discovered, does not mean that this is the sole issue causing a similar problem across the board, especially when it comes to OS installations. Don't care which OS it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20" 2.4GHz Leopard
Installed Leopard yesterday. I had a 2 month old imac with tiger installed. the apple installer did the lot without much assistance from me. install was super easy. No problems here what so ever. Go for it! Well done Apple what a great OS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz
Installed Leopard yesterday. I had a 2 month old imac with tiger installed. the apple installer did the lot without much assistance from me. install was super easy. No problems here what so ever. Go for it! Well done Apple what a great OS!

With any OS upgrade, a certain percentage of people will have problems. It may be 5%, 3% or 1%.

Looking at those percentages, it's up to you whether you want to install or not.

I personally see no reason not to install. You won't get a lower chance of anything going wrong changing from Tiger to Leopard.

Unfortunately the percentage for leopard is not 5% 3% or 1%. It is more like 50% 40% 30%.
The dock is slow, CS3 barely works and since a lot of the mac users are designers this is a big deal. I am trying to switch back to tiger. Probably have to wait until january when adobe releases their update.

Reaction score
I have to be honest and say that part of the fun is figuring things out if there is a glitch, you actually learn more that way.

My install on my new iMac went very smoothly. However, I also installed on a PowerMac G4 running 10.2 and it took a while. In conjunction with the help on this forum and working at it, I resolved all the issues, and I have a very happy friend running Leopard on her machine. Look at the cup mostly full, that is most people did not have problems, and if they did, they were resolved with the help of others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.