iphoto 08, first update has just wiped all my photos!!

Reaction score
ive had ilife 08 installed for a few weeks now, been working fine. ive just run software update for the first time since installing. now my i photo library is just like an application rather than an actual folder. and most of my photos have gone!

whats going on with it?

luckily i backed them all up on an external drive. but im wary to connect it incase it wipes them too..

im using 10.4 btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
I'm pretty sure iPhoto 08 went to using a library vs. iPhoto 06 that used folders. If you ctrl click and choose show package contents you should be able to browse the photos from there. I'm not sure of why the change didn't happen upon upgrading to iLife 08 but Aperture has been using a similar library for its photos too.

Your photos aren't gone, you just can't easily browse them the same as before.

OP
N
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure iPhoto 08 went to using a library vs. iPhoto 06 that used folders. If you ctrl click and choose show package contents you should be able to browse the photos from there. I'm not sure of why the change didn't happen upon upgrading to iLife 08 but Aperture has been using a similar library for its photos too.

Your photos aren't gone, you just can't easily browse them the same as before.

trust me they are gone. my HDD shows 3 gig more space than it did before the upgrade..

i have been using ilife 08 for a few weeks and this has only happened today when i ran software update for the first time (not been able to get to a fast internet connection for a few weeks)

and the iphoto library has changed today from being a folder to being like an application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Yikes, sorry to hear that. Did you have a backup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
I just installed the update and mine are fine. Did they disappear out of iPhoto or out of a folder?

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I'm pretty sure iPhoto 08 went to using a library vs. iPhoto 06 that used folders.
I'm looking at folders for my iPhoto 08 images. The library I think is the database that keeps tracks of everything for iPhoto.

As for the missing photos you had the right idea to tracking them down. I did the software update without incident. Got to wonder what cause the loss though. That is scary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
luckily i backed them all up on an external drive. but im wary to connect it incase it wipes them too..
As long as iPhoto isn't running I wouldn't be concerned.

If you're really paranoid, you could hook the drive up and copy the images somewhere else, disconnect the drive and then reimport the images.

OP
N
Reaction score
I highly doubt your photos were deleted...but meh.
Just restore your backup and move on.

well i highly doubt you know what you are talking about. how else do you explain 3 gigs worth of photos disappearing apart from one event of 100 photos?? and how did my HDD jump from having 48gig left to 51gig free space when the only thing i did was update ilife 08?? before the update they were all there, i opened iphoto and it says the library is not in a supported format like it did when i went from ilife 06 to 08 and when it imported the library most of the photos were gone?

they disappeared from iphoto and from the iphoto folders in my home folder.

as i said when i ran the update the iphoto folder changed from a folder to a package with an application type icon. i explored the package and all the photos had gone.

and as for your point of "move on" well what if i didnt back up? if you dont have anything valid to say shut up and dont post. you clearly dont have anything useful to say. the whole point of this forum is to discuss problems and try and fix them, so thats what im doing so hopefully it wont happen again.

thanks to the other posters for help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The point is, you did back up so you can restore it. I can't say what caused your issue, as I haven't hear of anyone else having this problem when they ran Software Update. You, yourself, may have accidentally deleted them and not realized it...who knows.

You have a back up. That's good news and something everyone should do.

Now please don't be rude, even if you don't agree with someone else's post. We will not tolerate rudeness or personal bickering here.

OP
N
Reaction score
The point is, you did back up so you can restore it. I can't say what caused your issue, as I haven't hear of anyone else having this problem when they ran Software Update. You, yourself, may have accidentally deleted them and not realized it...who knows.

You have a back up. That's good news and something everyone should do.

Now please don't be rude, even if you don't agree with someone else's post. We will not tolerate rudeness or personal bickering here.

im not being rude. i wasnt the person who came into a post and basically said, stop moaning move on. that in any other forum is classed as flaming someones topic..he did not having constuctive to say, so why did he post at all? i find being told to "move on" equally as rude as anything i said.

can you find anything constructive in his post?

as for the photos. i certainly didnt delete them. all i did was turn on my mac, run software update. then open iphoto to find them gone.

the main reason for my post was to try and prevent anything similar happening again and maybe finding a glitch with the software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
im not being rude. i wasnt the person who came into a post and basically said, stop moaning move on. that in any other forum is classed as flaming someones topic..he did not having constuctive to say, so why did he post at all? i find being told to "move on" equally as rude as anything i said.

can you find anything constructive in his post?

Then if you found the post to be "flaming" you should report it. Don't join in a personal bickering contest.

Personal insults and flames will not be tolerated. Please see the forum rules.

OP
N
Reaction score
Then if you found the post to be "flaming" you should report it. Don't join in a personal bickering contest.

Personal insults and flames will not be tolerated. Please see the forum rules.

ok point taken, ill do so now.

but im not an idiot and i didnt delete my own photos. so there was definately some sort of glitch.

OP
N
Reaction score
well funny how all you people who said iphoto 08 doesnt have a problem i foundon the apple discussion this post and lots of people having thensame problem.

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.

I've created an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. It's compatible with iPhoto 08 libraries and Leopard. iPhoto does not have to be closed to run the application, just idle. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.