2 questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo 3GB RAM
Hi,
I recently bought a new Mac and have had a couple hiccups with it since then. I'm hoping someone can help me with them.

The first one is a hardward issue:
I have the standard mighty mouse, and just today I started having problems with the scroll wheel. Sometimes when I'm scrolling around, it will stop making the tell tale clicking sound that indicates functionality, and will then stop scrolling in the corresponding direction. I can get it to come back in after a few minutes of fidgeting with it, but it can go back out any second.
Is there any way to prevent this? (ie. cleaning?)

The next problem is software related:
Every now and then whatever program I'm using will unexpectedly quit. So far it has happened to Safari, Word, iTunes, and the Activity Monitor. What steps can I take to troubleshoot this?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
How much memory do you have? Do you have 500 windows open while you are working?

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I have the standard mighty mouse, and just today I started having problems with the scroll wheel. Sometimes when I'm scrolling around, it will stop making the tell tale clicking sound that indicates functionality, and will then stop scrolling in the corresponding direction. I can get it to come back in after a few minutes of fidgeting with it, but it can go back out any second.
Is there any way to prevent this? (ie. cleaning?)

Get a damp to wet piece of kitchen towel and rub it all over the scroll wheel. Be really vigorous with it. You'll need to do this every 3 months or so to keep the scroll ball running smoothly.

Every now and then whatever program I'm using will unexpectedly quit. So far it has happened to Safari, Word, iTunes, and the Activity Monitor. What steps can I take to troubleshoot this?

How are you being told they are quitting? Do they close and you see a box telling you they've quit, or do they stop responding?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo 3GB RAM
How much memory do you have? Do you have 500 windows open while you are working?

T

I have 2 gigs of memory and I'll probably have 3 or 4 low profile programs running (iTunes, Safari, Word) Nothing major like photoshop or finalcut.

How are you being told they are quitting? Do they close and you see a box telling you they've quit, or do they stop responding?

The programs close with the error message of unexpectedly quitting, filing a report, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The next problem is software related:
You could check the logs using the Console application in the Applications/Utilities folder. It might give a hint.

A stock answer is to say, fix your preferences and verify/repair the hard drive. This is done via Desk Utility.

It is not common to have things crash often. If you have installed some Haxie, then uninstall it. Those can at times affect the system in bad ways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Ive had my mouse block up a few times on me, and my machine is less than 2 months old. Just give it a wipe every now and then!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.