My Macbook Pro gets HOT!

Reaction score
is there any program or widget or smthing i can get to speed the fans up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
There's smc fan control:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049

Just be aware that the faster the fans spin, the more the bearings wear. And fans like the ones in the MBP have tiiiiiiny little bearings (unless they're running those Sunon Maglev fans which levitate the impeller rather than using a bearing), and tiiiiiiny little bearings wear out MUCH faster than larger ones do.

The heat is a well-known issue; these machines are not really engineered very well. I suggest you get a decent laptop cooling pad (I can post some recommendations if you like), and get AppleCare.

OP
H
Reaction score
yeah could you suggest some pads. Applecare costs to much!

the thing is the mbp gets really hot and the fans dnt speed up so i just put it in sleep and leave it for 5 min then its cooled down

Reaction score
Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aa
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD
The heat is a well-known issue; these machines are not really engineered very well.

Until it fails though, how can you say they're not engineered well? :)

It's just the nature of notebooks to extent.. I don't know any laptops with the power of the MBP that don't get hot under such conditions :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
All modern laptops are heat sensitive. Even though they are called "Laptops", that is probably the worst place you can have it while it's running. If you use it at a desk, purchase or make something that props it up a bit so that there is more airflow underneath. Try and stay mindfull of the hot spots if you are using it in your lap and try and prop it up so those spots get some air.

I have a metal laptop stand that is basically just an angled metal tray with a lot of holes in it that raises it up off of the desk. Simple, attractive and effective.

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
what i do like about the mbp's over other laptops is that the fan is not under the laptop, it is on the back, right beneath the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel Imac
Beware of smc fan control though, if you damage the fans it will cost you. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
All modern laptops are heat sensitive. Even though they are called "Laptops", that is probably the worst place you can have it while it's running. If you use it at a desk, purchase or make something that props it up a bit so that there is more airflow underneath. Try and stay mindfull of the hot spots if you are using it in your lap and try and prop it up so those spots get some air.

I have a metal laptop stand that is basically just an angled metal tray with a lot of holes in it that raises it up off of the desk. Simple, attractive and effective.

-MikeM

Also with this in mind, if you read through the apple documents it even warns you against using it on your lap. Its classed as a notebook now days, not a laptop for that very reason ;)

~~ TS ~~

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.