Should I get a mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is it really worth getting a mac?
Currently I have 4 PC's with Windows XP and 1 of them also has Ubuntu, but can a MAC do anything that any other OS cannot do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
There are certain applications (the iLife suite, Final Cut, etc.) that require MacOS to run. These applications have equivalents (which may or may not be as good as their MacOS-only counterparts) on Windows, and I'd be shocked if they didn't on Linux as well.

In short: Unless you have some pressing need to use one of those pieces of software, there is no *need* to switch to a Mac. I'd encourage you to pick up one to play around with as I did, but if what you have is working fine, I wouldn't recommend dumping what you have now and running to MacOS just for the sake of, uh, running MacOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.16 4gig 160GB
Currently I have 4 PC's with Windows XP and 1 of them also has Ubuntu, but can a MAC do anything that any other OS cannot do?

You can run ms windows in a window on the desktop, so best of both worlds. I just installed vmfusion on leopard and will install vista 64 ultmate. I already have xp pro running. I may also install ubunto as it looks pretty cool for linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I don't think any OS can do something another OS can't - apart from having different looks and feels. I think it's worth giving Macs a serious try (i.e. not just playing with one at the Apple store). See if you can manage to borrow one, if not then just take the plunge and buy one. I personally think it's very worth it, but since OS's can all do the same thing now, it's all personal preference.

OP
I
Reaction score
I think it's worth giving Macs a serious try (i.e. not just playing with one at the Apple store). See if you can manage to borrow one, if not then just take the plunge and buy one.
I might get to in a few days or even next week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I don't really know.
Anything?

Yes.

If you're buying one just out of curiosity, you'll like it. It won't do much that the others won't, but you'll get to know another OS.

If you're into 'gadgets', a Mac is a good one. They're well put together.

Call it an early birthday present to yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
If you want to experiment and see what it's like before you jump in, pick up a used G4 off of Craigslist or e-bay. That's what I did and it's been a great experience. I've seen 1GHz G4 eMacs on e-bay for $250. They are compact enough that they will fit anywhere, fast enough to run Leopard and would be a great starter Mac in my opinion.

This way you can get acostomed to the OS and software before making a major investment. If you like it, you can make the plunge into a newer system. If you decide it isn't your thing, it was only a couple hundred bucks.

-MikeM

OP
I
Reaction score
When I do get to(I'm guessing next friday?) What should I do first?
What are some good games or programs to try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
Again it all boils down to what do you plan to do with it. What do you use your four PCs for? Do you want to just tinker with the OS. Do you like to work with graphics or video? Do you just like to surf the web? Are you a gamer? Do you need a computer for school? These are the kinds of questions I would ask yourself before buying any computer, PC or Mac. It helps determine what level of machine would be the best investment.

Here is a site that has some programs for Mac.
http://flernk.blogspot.com/2006/07/guide-to-os-x-software-for-switchers.html

I honestly can't recommend buying a whole brand new computer if you don't even know what you want it for. Spending $1k or more on a passing fancy will make you regret it if you end up not having a reason for it.

If you are just curious about Mac OS and how it's different then Windows and Linux, get a used one.

-MikeM

OP
I
Reaction score
Again it all boils down to what do you plan to do with it. What do you use your four PCs for?
(Desktop)1.Used by someone else.
(Desktop)2.Internet, Play Games.
(Laptop)3.Keep files(Music and Pictures), Play Games, Used by someone else.
(Laptop)4.Make games, Internet, Make Pictures(For the games), Edit Music, Make/Edit Video , Play Games(Ones that do work), And possibly other stuff I don't remember.
Do you want to just tinker with the OS.
The more I can open and do the better.
But that's just what I think.
Do you like to work with graphics or video?
Yes.
Do you just like to surf the web?
Most of the time.
Are you a gamer?
Yes.
Do you need a computer for school?
Not right now, possibly in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB, 3 750GB HDs, 250GB HD, two 22" monitors, 1 iMac, 1 13" Macbook Pro, AppleTv, 2 iPhones
I've been using PCs for more than 20 years. Was never a big Apple fan and bought a Mac Pro pretty much sight unseen. I had never seen the OS and never saw a Mac up close.

The reason? I got tired of running multiple layers of anti-virus software, of the computer reboot automatically overnight because a "critical" update was installed, of running every sort of anti-spyware application and of constantly running various maintenance programs to prevent the thing from crashing.

So far, I am wonderfully impressed. It does all of the multimedia stuff I have always wanted to do, and it does it more seamlessly than a PC. I still have a learning curve, but I'm getting better. I have Office running and I run Vista in a VM and in BootCamp when I need Windows. Guaranteed best bang for the buck.

Oh, yeah, I work for M$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

For you, it sounds like it wouldn't be worth it. No OS can really do anything another one can't do, but one OS might be easier and nicer to use.

Look at Apple's pages and decide if you WANT a Mac. If you don't want one, don't get one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
A mac OS does do one thing windows does not...

It works, never freezes (not for me anyway), "real" plug and play, solid as a rock, no popups - anything!

Be aware however - mac's only really come into thier own if you are doing video editing / photoshop work as it's so stable. I know a lot of people who have switched because they just like mac's - this is fine - but it's a great expense for just surfing the net and WP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iTouch, iPad, iPhone 3GS..waiting for iPhone5 or 6?
I work heavily with photoshop and illustrator (have even been advise dto get indesign) so a Mac then would be a good investment??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
For me it has been. I use one of the new imacs (upgraded to 3 gig of ram). I use a similar spec PC, with windows XP at work - (2 gig of ram is the only real difference).

The windows machine has a fit if you work over 300 DPI (which is high anyway, but standard for most A4 print work), struggling at times if there are lots of layers - forget opening any other application!!

When I got my imac - I had 1 gig of ram inside, it worked fine, I only upgraded becasue I do a lot of higher end video work (more than photoshop).

It IS an expensive decision, if you compare it to a cheap PC. The OS does take a little time to get used to, but not as much as I had thought.

Personally, I have just found my mac a total work horse. I often have firefox, photoshop, Itunes, transmission, adium and word open at the same time and it doesn't slow at all. Maybe i'm a lucky one, but mac has definitely worked for me.

Just be aware - your photoshop licence may or may not work on a mac - you will have to call adobe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iTouch, iPad, iPhone 3GS..waiting for iPhone5 or 6?
I hear you on PS lagging with higher dpi or multiple layers! I can only run PS by itself forget firefox, or any other applications... Even then it drags on..

OP
I
Reaction score
Every OS and Computer works.
, never freezes (not for me anyway),
I've never had any computer freeze(except one Intel one, I use AMD on all of my PC's)
"real" plug and play,
What do you mean by that? Every thing I've ever connected worked once connected.
solid as a rock,
What do you mean?
no popups
Popups? What popups?

I have another question:
I can have lots of programs open and it will not lag, is a MAC the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.