• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Boycott Music Companies that leave iTunes

Reaction score
Apple and iTunes has revolutionized the music business, and billions of paid songs later, we can see that the consumer has shown that they want this kind of music delivery. The record and TV companies however, want to regain full control so they can decide what you the consumer will hear or see, and what you must pay for it, which will of course be much higher.

The iTunes customer base is now big enough and influential enough to resist this effort.

If Universal wants to withdraw their music from iTunes, ok go ahead. We will however reciprocate and refuse to purchase your content. Lets see who blinks first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Apple and iTunes has revolutionized the music business, and billions of paid songs later, we can see that the consumer has shown that they want this kind of music delivery. The record and TV companies however, want to regain full control so they can decide what you the consumer will hear or see, and what you must pay for it, which will of course be much higher.

The iTunes customer base is now big enough and influential enough to resist this effort.

If Universal wants to withdraw their music from iTunes, ok go ahead. We will however reciprocate and refuse to purchase your content. Lets see who blinks first.
I have no choice but to boycott them if they withdraw from their iTunes contract. If they aren't in iTunes then I can't buy them. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Boycott Universal for business strategy!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have no choice but to boycott them if they withdraw from their iTunes contract. If they aren't in iTunes then I can't buy them. :p
You make a good point. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I am the same way... I only am able to purchase music that is on iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I won't boycott. I'll buy the music I want to buy, but I'll just buy the CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Change will actually occur when the artists begin boycotting record companies. The various experiments in selling music by artists with no contract indicate that, and some of them work. Record companies will gradually become less relevant if this takes off.

M

MacHeadCase

Absolutely my pov too. I certainly won't buy from any other source.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
We should just boycott music. It's all rediculously expensive if you think about it...except for the free kind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Shoot, I'm so old school, I still want LP's to play on my turntable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Shoot, I'm so old school, I still want LP's to play on my turntable.

Now those are expensive. Singles run like $5. Although, there's usually a clean, an explicit, an acapella, and an instrumental.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Monopolies are not a good thing, and frankly it makes no difference if that monopoly is controlled by Sony, Universal, Microsoft or Apple.

OK, so you might have a preference, but the issue with iTunes is this. Your content will only ever play on Apple hardware/software. I have vinyls from the 1970's I still play - in 30 years time, will I still be able to play Apparat stored on my AAC files in 2035?

I am really glad Apple is pushing towards DRM free AACs, because these should be more flexible in terms of the hardware they'll play on. But I don't want Apple to control the content industry any more than any other single company. I suppose at least iTunes is available on OS X as well as Windows, unlike WMA files. But Amazon MP3s will play on any OS, even Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Now those are expensive. Singles run like $5. Although, there's usually a clean, an explicit, an acapella, and an instrumental.

I still have all the LP's I've had since my 70's high school days so I really don't plan on buying any. (Beatles, Rolling Stones, Peter and Gordon, Roy Orbison. etc...) In fact I have an original 45 (never played) of The Beatles, "She Loves You" - flip side "I'll Get You" on the Swan white label in the Beatles picture sleeve that is locked away in my safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
Why would I boycott companies that leave itunes? I'm more likely to boycott itunes (actually I do, I've never bought anything off itunes) because: the tracks are low quality, and because they will only play on apple hardware. I really don't see the point in buying off itunes when I can just buy the cd or download individual tracks from another online shop, where the tracks are not DRM restricted, and are at near-cd quality.

To those people who say they are not able to buy from anywhere other than itunes - I'm genuinely curious...what is the reason?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Go to the library, its free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
distance from music stores and do not like using credit cards for music because its to easy to spend more then you would like to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do you pay for music off itunes? (seeing as how I've never used it :D )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there like a pay-as-you-go option, or do they take money directly from your checking account? That would be pretty convenient if there's something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Is there like a pay-as-you-go option, or do they take money directly from your checking account? That would be pretty convenient if there's something like that.

There are many ways to buy music off of iTunes. You can either use a pre-paid card you can purchase at many stores or you can use a debit or credit card for your purchases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The record and TV companies however, want to regain full control so they can decide what you the consumer will hear or see, and what you must pay for it, which will of course be much higher.

I find the opposite to be true. When iTunes started selling DRM-free music, they sold it at a premium. However, other big sellers, like Amazon, were putting DRM-free content on the market for the same .99 price, which forced Apple to do the same. It's just like someone else said, no kind of monopoly is good for the consumer.

I don't get this comment. I use iTunes and buy music from Amazon, and it works fine. In fact, the music I buy from Amazon is automatically added to my iTunes music. With one-click purchasing, it as easy as buying from iTunes. Plus the added bonus of all the music being DRM-free and not having any "album only" tracks which can keep you from buying one song you want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.