PC and a Mac in same house?

Reaction score
My daughter has a Dell pc in her home office. Comcast is ISP.

Can she use an IMac G5 1.8ghz in home for the kids?

Would they affect each other? Anything we should think about or know?

Don't know who else to ask before she buys a used mac, so we really

would appreciate your advice.

Thanks

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
the iMac will catch windows cooties.

No, srsly, they'll be fine. Most of the people on this site (from what I've seen) have both PC's and Mac's in their home. I have 2 Mac's and 2 PC's and everything's gravy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have lots of PC's (Personal Computers) in my home.
Some of them run Mac OS X and some run Windows.
I also have Comcast Cable Internet.
I have no problems.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Comcast cable here also, with 2 Mac's, 2 Win boxes and 1 Linux box.
No issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Charter Cable, 12windows pcs and 3 new age macs, 2 legacy macs, and a linux pc. No issues, many are setup to share files with one another.

(Counting them up makes me feel like I'm running a business out of my house, I think Dennis still beats me in amnt of computers connected at once though.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
All should be OK... I have 1 pc and 1 mac networked directly (no router) on the same desk. Oh and if you even wanted to network the computers, its not as hard as they make it out to be on most sites on the net... The mac side was extremely simple, the pc side on the other hide requires a few steps...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
As has already been posted, no. My employer has issued me a Dell Windows XP machine which connects to my Verizon FIOS router just the same as my two Macbooks (well, my Macbook and my wife's Macbook) and a Mac Mini which all share the same wireless connection. No problems. I even had a Linux box hooked up to the network for awhile. They all go their merry way.

Same thing at work. I take my Macbook in and it joins up with the corporate wireless just fine while the company issued aforementioned Dell doesn't for some reason; go figure. I have to jack a wire into the Dell to get on the corporate network.

Same technology as what's in the home, just bigger scale. There will be no problem with you having a Mac, PC, Linux box, iPaq, wi-fi capable iPhone or iPod Touch, or anything else on the same network. They all use the same protocols. The Mac just makes things easier. O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I actually was curious, why would there be a problem? Are there puters that don't play well on a network. My thinking is sort of like diff telephone companies, you can still call someone who isn't on the same bill or even company as you...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
I have a small Windows Domain in my house and my Mac integrates quite well with Active Directory. The only problem I have is that it won't talk to my networked printer but that's more of a driver problem then a network problem. File sharing is a breeze. It's just another one of the gang.

If it works this well in this setup, it will work fine in a regular mixed workgroup environment.

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD
I was annoyed to have to get in a computer guy to set my macbook up with a pc wireless network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
On the router in my dorm, I have a macbook, an iphone, a windows xp pro box, and a gentoo filesharing server. everything but the gentoo box works very well with everything else(only because it is uber secure). Filesharing is a sinch, and depending on your printer, sharing wont be a problem. Luckily, I have a wifi printer:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (white), 2 GHz, 2 GB Memory, 120 GB, Superdrive, 10.4.10.
I've got a PC and a Macbook set up on the same network via Airport Extreme. Very, very simple to set up. I've got an external HD that I need to hook in there, too. Macs and PCs can share external HD's, can't they?

AIX

Reaction score
Same as several posters above, Comcast cable with D-link router... no problems... It is the 21st century, so interracial households are perfectly okay ;)

@ChodeMasterJ: Yes they can if its formatted for FAT32... if the drive is NTFS, the Mac will only be able to read off it

Reaction score
I've heard it's like putting two Betas in the same fish bowl.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.