• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How narc-like are you?

I

Icarus

ok, so here's my story.
A few weeks ago, my parents left town for a few days, right?
and so I decided to hold a little get-together with my friends and I.
Now, at this 'get-together' there was some beverages usually reserved for those over 21...

and so one of my friends who was not there, decided it would be a good idea to mention the little get-together to his parents. Then, his parents desided to bring this up to another friend of mine who was not their either - he said it happened.

Now I don't really care what ben's parents think of me - I'm off to college in two weeks.

What scares me is the possibility of Ben's parents feeling the need to bring this up to MY parents, in which case I'd be SOL. (student out of luck)

So my poll is as follows - if you knew about this party, would YOU tell your parents?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It would be better to tell your parents about the get together, than have some one else tell them you had a wild party and the police came to break it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I agree, when you become a responsible adult, first you try not to do things behind people's back, but if that fails, then you own up to where you screwed up. It's part of the growing up process, which usually it takes quite a few years out of college these days before that happens, but you even asking.. it sounds like you're on your way to responsibility.. funny how getting in trouble can help us along that path a bit quicker :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
hehe, to me... i tell my parents what they ask. it keeps me from lying and usually they care less about things.

if it gets to your parents, deny it or reword it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Graphite said:
if it gets to your parents, deny it or reword it.

The problem with deny or rewording it is, it is so close to lying.

It would better to tell before it is told by some one else.

OP
I

Icarus

but see, this wasn't a HUGE party where the cops would even consider - this was 6 people in my basement, no noise, just chillin.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Simple: If they don't ask, don't tell. :D

OP
I

Icarus

the other day, when they came back from a different trip, (in which I did nothing illegal) they said, "anything go on you'd like to tell us?"
"....no..."
"you sure?"
"quite sure."
"okay"

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Well, you don't want to tell them, so you can still say no and not lie...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
So then you lied to your parents? And if they already know, they know that you can't be trusted since you lied to them and they know you lied. Now whenever they do something that might take some trust of you, they are less likely to do it without making sure people are checking up on you, etc etc. It's plain easier and better on the both of you, if everyone was honest.

It sounds like rman and I are the only ones that are adverse to lying and then those that do know us, trust us implicitly because of it, just a suggestion for the future and once responsibility kicks in. It's nice to know friends, family, etc trusts you because you are worthy of their trust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
lol yeah if they dont ask i dont bother mentioning it.. unless of course they have a good chance of findin out..

of course its been many years since ive had to deal with my parents so i could be rusty ;)

ah to be free... it still feels good.

OP
I

Icarus

you know, I doubt that they know about it. so I didn't lie about it - and if they say to me, "did you have a drinking, (soda pop) party here" I'll confess. but for now, I'll stick to the grey truth.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem is when it comes to the truth there are no shades of grey/gray.

OP
T

TylerMoney

Um. Man. Why would you're friends have said anything to their parents? That sucks. I would talk to your "friends" first, and find out what their parents are saying. Then, I just wouldn't say anything. I think if you're parents know, you'll know they know, and that would be the time to confess.

OP
I

Icarus

oh, I have every interest in 'talking' to this friend who decided to tell his parents about this - this isn't the first time either...he's told them of other...illegal things I've done as well...sort of pisses me off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It's a tough one, but for just a few visitors I'd be inclined to say it happened. It was such a small thing

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like this person is not your friend. If I were you I would cut him loose.

OP
I

Icarus

I can't really 'cut him loose' completely - we grew up together and as things have it we've also grown apart in many ways. We also have the same friends, which would make a clean cut almost impossible. When he gets back from vacation I have every intention of mentioning to him that he has lost every ounce of my trust he had ever gained and there's no way he can get it back. Shame, how these things happen between friends, isn't it?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As you are finding out, not all friends are for life. Some are there just for a season.

OP
I

Icarus

Gosh Darnit...ben's parents also decided to tell my Junior buddy's parents about my little par-tay...and now she thought that we would be drinking (soda pop) on the trip that we're going on this weekend.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.