wireless network -help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
While I was going through some support questions on the Apple site, I started reading more about Airport, and the whole wireless connection set-up.
I am not sure if I understand things correctly, so I am hoping some of you can clarify.

Right now I have the iMac connected to my wireless router, which I was using with my deceased Dell. We also have a PC laptop. I first understood airport to simply be a built in connection to a wireless network, and since my computer was right next to my router, I just hooked it up that way

Do I understand that if I plug the iMac into the modem directly, that the airport in the iMac would then replace the router? Then I could set up the preferences and security for the Airport wireless, and eliminate the router completely? Is this a good idea?
Will that also make it easier to netowork the laptop & iMac? Right now they just share a wireless connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
No... the Airport Card within the iMac is simply a wifi card, giving you the ability to join your iMac to a wireless network. You still need a Modem and wireless router to broadcast the wireless signal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Getting one for Xmas!!
In the same vien. I have an HP in my computer room connected to cable high speed. Is there somewhere I can find instructions to get aa wireless router and put my iMac in another room?

Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.