• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

OINK users...be VERY scared!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
good thing i buy my music legally :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
My bottom line--there should be some level of fear, but the action is going to be from the RIAA (again), not the feds, unless a new US Attorney General (once confirmed) has a real passion for prosecuting IP violations.

Which means it would be a civil suit. They would settle for some fairly reasonable price, like the rest of the cases. No jail time, etc. I wouldn't be that scared.

Wait...wasn't a thread for this JUST LOCKED?

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yeah, I thought about that. I decided that I would chance it since this is particularly interesting. If we steer this in the right direction I think it can go ok. Just to be on the safe side though, I reported my own post to the staff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Yeah, I thought about that. I decided that I would chance it since this is particularly interesting. If we steer this in the right direction I think it can go ok. Just to be on the safe side though, I reported my own post to the staff.

Hahaha :D

I honestly don't think this will be much different than most RIAA cases. They will pick a few unlucky people, make an example of them, and move on. I highly doubt mass civil cases will be filed over this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Thanks for the article. The writer should have left off the last line, very distasteful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
Looks like people should have less to worry about if the bit about the RIAA needing to get info first and the fact that it's hard to trace the IPs without a court order is true. Unless the users donated, I guess then they're in real trouble it seems? It doesn't seem like they would bother going after that many people to me, but we'll see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Thanks for the article. The writer should have left off the last line, very distasteful.

Yeah I agree, should have left out the last line, I didn't read that far until you mentioned it. That line wasn't really appropriate.

I think 99% of all OINK users will probably walk away from this with out ever hearing a thing, but it is possible for them to be procescuted according to this article..

(There was another thread on this subject that was locked already? Shows what happens when you are gone for a few hours)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah I agree, should have left out the last line, I didn't read that far until you mentioned it. That line wasn't really appropriate.

I think 99% of all OINK users will probably walk away from this with out ever hearing a thing, but it is possible for them to be procescuted according to this article..

(There was another thread on this subject that was locked already? Shows what happens when you are gone for a few hours)
I closed the other thread as some users saw it fit to air their personal music-acquisition habits in a public forum.

Just a friendly reminder for everyone participating: Feel free to discuss this news article generally, but don't encourage, defend, link to, suggest, own up to or otherwise discuss any specific piracy or we will be forced to close the thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I think I may have been the offending poster in the other thread and that was not my intention when I made reference to another downloading site/software. My point was that since Oink was being targeted those who use the other site/software need to heed the same warning. Personally, I pay for all of my songs, always have and always will.

Reaction score
Update.
The man behind OiNK, an invite-only file-sharing site that provided illegal downloads of pre-release music and media to its more than 180,000 members before authorities shut it down Tuesday, has broken his silence in an interview with British tabloid the Daily Telegraph.

. . . Ellis said OiNK is "no different [than] something like Google — if Google directed someone to a site they can illegally download music [from], they are doing the same as what I have been accused of. I am not making any OiNK users break the law. People don't pay to use the site."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Well, if you take the risks, you take the risks. I do find it incredible that people feel they can do some things without any consequence.

And as for Ellis saying it's just like Google, that's crap. That is like saying a Car is like a Gun, because they can both kill people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Well, if you take the risks, you take the risks. I do find it incredible that people feel they can do some things without any consequence.

And as for Ellis saying it's just like Google, that's crap. That is like saying a Car is like a Gun, because they can both kill people.

Really? Because when both are used responsibly, they're not danger.

Oink did not sell music.
Oink did not provide music.
It's a tracker and search site.
The users uploaded music.
The users downloaded music.

It's like all the other torrent sites out there, but like some is a private, invite only community. I could name 5 off the top of my head. You could search yahoo or google and come up with a ton of them. I think if this guy is held legally accountable for it, they need to go back and hold every single torrent site that was busted. There's been a ton of sites, torrent, warez, GNUtella, etc... that have been shut down, but this is the first arrest ever made.

In fact, Oink worked like many other websites regarding financial status. You join for free. Member ship is not dependant on a cost. You donate what you want too.

Anyone that runs a large forum or site with high traffic volume that is not sponsored or paid for by a business and is out of pocket knows that it's not cheap to pay for bandwith with you start getting a ton of users.

I have about 1.5gb of bandwith used for this month on my local area photography forum with 18 registered memembers and 5-8 that actively participate. I'm sure Schweb can attest to the fact that it's not cheap. People who enjoy the sites and want to keep them going will willingly donate. It's not dues and it's not required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really? Because when both are used responsibly, they're not danger.

Lets not get into a gun debate - guns are made for killing, which could be responsible or not. Cars are made for transport, whether responsible or not. It's the design purpose I was referrring to, so the analogy is fair.

Oink did not sell music.
Oink did not provide music.
It's a tracker and search site.
The users uploaded music.
The users downloaded music.

<snip>

Sure... and ISOHunt is used for backing up your own precious media and Handbrake is for converting you own personal movies to MP4, right?

I don't mean to be facetious (ok, maybe a little) be these sites exist to facilitate file sharing, which is largely the sharing of copyright material. I honestly think the sooner people are open about this and admit it, the sooner we can have a mature debate about it.

But not here of course... :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Lets not get into a gun debate - guns are made for killing, which could be responsible or not. Cars are made for transport, whether responsible or not. It's the design purpose I was referrring to, so the analogy is fair.

Sure... and ISOHunt is used for backing up your own precious media and Handbrake is for converting you own personal movies to MP4, right?

I don't mean to be facetious (ok, maybe a little) be these sites exist to facilitate file sharing, which is largely the sharing of copyright material. I honestly think the sooner people are open about this and admit it, the sooner we can have a mature debate about it.

But not here of course... :Smirk:

But legally, according to the news story, they're saying the Oink admin charged people for invite, sold music, and provided pre-releases. He provided a site that let people do that but did not necessarily do that himself. I doubt he was in a position to be the first to get the leaked music to provide. He worked in an IT field.

It's almost exactly like myspace, but social netoworking is not illegal. Tom created myspace. People sign up for myspace. A little boy or girl gets molested/raped because they hooked up with a person from myspace. Let's hang Tom.

So unless the media changes the story or we get the facts, they're going after the wrong person. The guy created the site and facilitated file sharing, but he didn't charge people, he didn't necessarily provide the leaks, and he didn't sell music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But legally, according to the news story, they're saying the Oink admin charged people for invite, sold music, and provided pre-releases. He provided a site that let people do that but did not necessarily do that himself. I doubt he was in a position to be the first to get the leaked music to provide. He worked in an IT field.

It's almost exactly like myspace, but social netoworking is not illegal. Tom created myspace. People sign up for myspace. A little boy or girl gets molested/raped because they hooked up with a person from myspace. Let's hang Tom.

So unless the media changes the story or we get the facts, they're going after the wrong person. The guy created the site and facilitated file sharing, but he didn't charge people, he didn't necessarily provide the leaks, and he didn't sell music.

I do get it, but I think the key point is the motivation behind a site. I am sure Myspace wasn't created with the intention of attracting perverts - in fact, there are safeguards to prevent adult users seeing child profiles, even if there are always going to be some freaks who get around it.

When a site actually requires its users to upload as much as they download, that can only mean one thing. People are not likely to be uploading their holiday snaps, are they?

I'll drop it there, I think your points are valid, but I do think it's naive to believe the site creators didn't know, or even want, the service to be used in this manner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
[...] I am sure Myspace wasn't created with the intention of attracting perverts - [...]

I'm not sure... I mean - have you seen Tom? ;)

Reaction score
ah well my ratio was rediculously low anyway
i was bound to be banned sooner or later

no more oink for me

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.