• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Any vets here? Doggie problems, she's dying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Hey everyone,

I need some advice, I can't seem to find much in my searching. My doggie (lucky) has been having some problems over the course of the past week and a half or so. This all came all of a sudden and it's kind of strange. At first she was having a problem going potty (pooping), kind of out of the blue, then she started scooting and she had some anal seepage. We took her to the vet because she hadn't pooed for a couple days and she was scooting, she never has scooted much since we've had her. We have had her for a about 8 or 10 years (maybe a little more), she's always been pretty healthy. So, we took her to the vet and I guess the vet said the glands / veins on the inside of her anus has become inflated.

Thus, this is the reason why she can't poop, he also said it could be cancer, but he didn't feel like it was cancer. It's been about a week or so, she was taken back to the vet because she ate a little and then she stopped, he passed some bowels once or twice but it was still difficult. So they took her back to the vet on Friday or Saturday. I was away all weekend I came back Monday, and she hasn't eaten since.

I really don't know what to do at the moment, my grandparents don't really have any faith, my grandma never does she gives up everything to easy. She keeps saying she'd tried feeding here all kinds of stuff and the dog won't eat it and she doesn't want to try anything else. So basically, I guess she's just going to let the dog die from starvation. They aren't willing to pay for surgery, supposedly the surgery would cost about a grand. From the looks of it, she doesn't even want to take lucky back to the vet because it "costs too much", it's 50 dollars a visit. Personally, I would do it myself but I can't afford it, because I don't have any source of an income at the moment. I would try to set up a donate fund, but I don't think Lucky is going to make it by the time funds are raised. I really want her to pull through. I'm not giving up hope, I'm the only one that is wanting to try to help her.

Does anyone know of a place that could do the surgery for lower wages, some kind of an financial aid, or some kind of help. Are there any suggestions? Should I try feeding her baby food?

The reason I asked about the baby food is because, I have house sat for a lady, her dog has to have an asprin and baby food while she eats because it helps keep her "regular". The G's have tried "Alpo" canned food, Lucky ate it at first I think, but she hasn't touched it for a couple days. So, I'm running out of things to try. I think one of the problems is, Lucky might think there is medicine in the food, because the G's have given her, her meds straight every time she has to take it. I know it probably tastes awful, and she's expecting that nasty taste so she won't eat. It's just a thought. I need to get a way for her to eat something, she's loosing weight and she's been really down and laying around, she looks very depressed. She stayed outside in the rain, and she's also sat outside and shivered because it was cold out and wouldn't come in.

I don't know what to do, if I make suggestions they get turned down because granny doesn't have any faith in nothing, she's just a prune.

Any suggestions would really help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can ask around in your area, I know that there are a few places locally around here that help people with their pets if there is a financial issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Hey Ghostshadow, sorry to hear about Lucky. Try contacting your local SPCA, they sometimes will do surgeries on animals for free when the owner cannot afford it. Good luck, I hope Lucky pulls through.

OP
Ghostshadow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys, I'll look into it.

M

MacHeadCase

So sorry to hear about this, Ghostshadow. I hope they find the solution real soon.

Did the vet check for any kind of obstruction in the digestive track? You know, dog's will eat just about anything and it sounds like maybe Lucky swallowed something and it might be caught somewhere? :(

Reaction score
Man, I'm so sorry to here that. I hope everything works our for you and lucky.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Good luck Ghostshadow. :( Ooops, need to add to this. Will add more shortly. (Hit the wrong darned button.)

I just Googled "free vet" and saw some interesting things! Play around with Google to see what you can find in your area. One interesting thing was a vet school. If you're near one, you might get free services that are under the guidance of a vet who is qualified not only to practice but to teach also!

Let us know how things go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I just Googled "free vet" and saw some interesting things! Play around with Google to see what you can find in your area. One interesting thing was a vet school. If you're near one, you might get free services that are under the guidance of a vet who is qualified not only to practice but to teach also!

Let us know how things go.

That's not always true. Cornell University is near my Vet clinic. We often refer patients there, but its usually very expensive, but different schools may have different practices. Either way, good luck Ghost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
So, you weren't clear... were the impacted glands treated?

Also, if I were in your position I would have a serious discussion with your grandparents about the cruelty of what they're doing. Leaving the dog to starve or die of dehydration is inhumane; it is cruel in the extreme and completely inexcusable. She deserves to be either treated (if there is a treatment available) or put down as quickly and painlessly as possible.

OP
Ghostshadow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I totally agree with you Geeky, it has Pee'd me off good, especially since I'm veg and all. I do have an update though!

She has kind of perked up. The problem is, her glands are swollen, and the veins around the anal area is a little swollen as well. The Vet prescribed her medication, I'm not sure what it was to be exact, I haven't looked at it. It seems like it was effecting her badly. Possibly, some kind of a bad side effect, she lost her apitite and was VERY weak, she would stand up and walk a foot and just lay down. It was very sad to see, but we didn't give her any today, and she's perked up a bit, i coaxed her into drinking water. She started drinking it. She also has eaten as well.

So hopefully she'll get better, she also passed a bowel today as well. I know it sounds nasty, but it's fantastic that she's pooping, it wasn't much, but a little is better than none. When I got home from dinner, she drank the whole bowl of water i sat down for her, I had to re-fill it.

She is walking around and standing etc. So hopefully she can pull through and eat some more, and start getting regular. I might see if they drained or can try to drain her glands to see if that's what it is, because it could be a miss diagnosis, no one is perfect. I hope it's not the end.

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
That's not always true. Cornell University is near my Vet clinic. We often refer patients there, but its usually very expensive, but different schools may have different practices. Either way, good luck Ghost.

Very true, my sister is in vet school at Mississippi State and it is more expensive than most local vets. Of course it is also one of the best vet schools in the country and the care there is probally better than any other vet in the state. In fact most vets send pets there for major surgeries because they are not comfortable doing them.

Ghostshadow glad to here Lucky is doing a little better, I hope she pulls through!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black iPod Video (30GB). iPhone 3G 8GB. 13" Unibody MacBook 2.4ghz.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Lucky. I love my dogs so much and I hate to see them in pain. Good luck on your search and don't give up. Faith is an amazing thing :)

OP
Ghostshadow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is an over due update.

Shortly after posting this thread, we found out it was the medicine that was making her woozy and causing her not to eat or drink anything at all. With her not eating and not being able able to potty, we were thinking the worst was going to happen.

She later perked up, we took her off the medicine and she went back to her old self, eating, drinking, running around. She was able to potty a few times, she looked like she was getting better. She was able to potty more, and she was eating regularly, drinking, etc.

This weekend it turned again, she was feeling weak and couldn't potty, today we've decided to put her to sleep. I don't want to, I wish I could pay for the operation myself, I can't though.

I hate to do it and I don't want it to happen, but it's for the better, I think. She's suffering and she shouldn't be suffering.

I definitely love her very much and this is really hard. I thank you all for the kind words.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
It may be painful to lose a pet, but remember how many good times you had with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Sorry to hear that man. It's really sad.

M

MacHeadCase

I really feel for you, I went through that with a darling cat that I had for 14 years. I'm so sorry to hear this. :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
So sorry for you. /(v_v)\ May your memories of Lucky always be fond.

OP
Ghostshadow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you everyone I really appreciate the support. Here are a couple pictures of her for you all to put a face with the name.

This one was taken in 1994.
0bd76a153e.jpg

-------

This one was taken in 2003, I thought it was so cute, I had to get a picture of her pose.
8006624973.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.