Is this RAM okay???

OP
H

h0tk4rl

Crucial.com has 512MB DDR PC2700 non-parity memory for $101.99 each and they are for 1.5GHz 15" PowerBook G4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
shane1 said:
Well, I am going to buy a 15" G4 Powerbook tomorrow but I want to updrade the RAM asap. They have this at Best Buy and the specs look okay. Will it work? I would like to be able to buy something locally tomorrow under $200 per stick and I want to get 2-512mb sticks. Thanks for any help you can give.

Is there any reason why you can't wait to order it from a less expensive source that has memory guaranteed to work with your machine? Just a suggestion, because the stock PowerBook's memory should be fine, especially if it's only for a week or so until the additional RAM arrives in the mail.

OP
S

shane1

Good points, I do not need the RAM today. I just like to support local retailers if prices are similar. I am going to buy the RAM at RAMJET today. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Well, make sure they will allow you to make a return, if it's not compatible. You'll need:

Size: 512 MB
Type: DDR SDRAM/SO-DIMM, 144 Pin Package
Speed: PC2700 U-25330 or 333Mhz

OP
M

Matt

I think RAM is not so hard, but all other upgrades are. Do a google. I think theres a hatch under the Powerbook for RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Installing RAM in a PowerBook is about removing some screws (normally 4) and gentling sliding in the SO-DIMM, while trying now to damage it. Afterwards make sure the metal clips at either side are holding the memory in place, preventing it from slipping out again. Your working in a tiny space where phat finger's can barely fit... other then that, it's a piece of cake!

Computer beeps once at startup 1.
One beep means that no RAM is detected. Note: There is no RAM on the logic board itself, so the computer will beep if no memory is installed in at least one of the RAM slots. 2. Put the original RAM that came with the computer back in, or put in known-good and compatible RAM and restart. • If symptom does not repeat, replace RAM card(s). • If symptom repeats, replace logic board.

FYI:

PowerBook 12
attachment.php

PowerBook 15
attachment.php

PowerBook 17
attachment.php

Note: The PowerBook G4 (Alu series) uses PC2700 (also called DDR333) DDR SDRAM SO-DIMMs with a maximum height of 1.25-inch (30 mm).

If you never done it before, then take your time... should take a novice no longer then 20 mins, max. If your too scared, ask a trust worthy friend or then take it to a dealer (be prepared, the later might charge you for installation.)

screenshot_01.jpg

screenshot_02.jpg

screenshot_03.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.