Can't download from internet

Reaction score
My son has an old clamshell ibook which died. We took it in to be repaired and they put on OS X 10.3.5 . All was well until we brought it home and tried to download MSN's Messenger and Limewire. They won't download. I take that back. They seem to download, but on Limewire for example, when I click on the page to install it, nothing happens. What is going on here? We were able to download these programs before the repair shop re-installed the operating system. Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Sorry, I don't know what the problem is, but, and no offense, I think you should think of an upgrade after the 9(?) years you've had the computer.

In technology terms that's like still using a quill and ink-well in place of a biro or typewriter... or a computer actually.

EDIT: Sorry, I realize that wasn't particularly constructive. I can get a bit funny at 5am after a few too many drinks. ki99's assessment seems pretty likely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Mamapedio, your explanation doesn't make sense to me. So go through the steps. Which browser are you using to download those applications? In the Preferences of the browser, where are the downloads being placed? Are you double clicking on the downloaded file after the download is complete? When you double click, does a new drive appear in the Finder? If so, you likely have to drag the file to your Applications folder.

I can't help more than that because I'm not willing to download those two applications. I recently saw some complaining regarding Limewire, so search the forums on that one.

Levi, it could only be about 8 years old. According to LowEndMac, the first clam shell was released in late 1999. Anyway, depending on what they are using it for, an upgrade may not be needed. My 233Mhz Wallstreet still has life in it for some things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
are you making sure to get the panther version of the applications (if there is one) instead of the tiger version? most websites would have the default download link set probably for the latest version of the program which may only be tiger compatible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.