I looking back!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
Hi,

I am a little upset with my Mac, I am starting to feel like I should of got a Dell with Windows.

I don't see why Mac's are better, I see Windows where ever I go. I have a PC myself with Windows, It is not very powerful...

I can't get my money back, please could someone help me. I hate the way everything is for Windows.

Should Apple just start shipping computers with Windows?

Nick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
So you hate your mac because everyone else uses windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Oh please god no! Apple shipping computers with Windows! That'll be the day when I move to linux....and I don't want to do that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Give it 6 months and when you don't have to reload your OS because of a virus or spyware or malware or someotherkindofware, it'll hit ya.

Until then what exactly can't you do that everyone else can?

Well besides what I already mentioned.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
MBNick, here are just a few reasons why you should LOVE your Mac: try getting your Windows machine to reproduce any of them:

* Solid. The stability and "just works" nature of OS X constantly amazes me. Many Linux distributions are very solid (think Debian or SuSE), but few could honestly be described as easy to configure and use (Ubuntu may be an exception to this rule!). Not so for Mac OS X. It is solid as a rock, and configuration for those things that need it is extremely straightforward. Everything just works!

* Safe! No virus', no trojans and no serious attacks from the dangerous world of the net.

* Widgets! FABULOUS! If you haven't checked out Dashboard yet, do so as soon as you can. Konfabulator and/or Super Karamba may provide similar functions in the Linux world, and Vista with its warmed over imitation, Gadgets, but there is nothing like Dashboard and its thousands of available (and mostly free) widgets.

* Superior application model. A facet of this is the fact that you can close an application window and still leave the application loaded and waiting. Closing the window doesn't close the app. What a great idea! Subsequent uses of the application just "snap" into being . I LOVE the responsiveness.

* Spotlight Integration. Spotlight is a great search tool, and it is tightly integrated into lots of Mac OS X operations. My favorite? The Spotlight integration into the "File Save" and "Save As" dialogs. Notice the little Spotlight logo in the upper right corner of these dialogs? Instead of painfully navigating to your intended folder, just type in a few letters of its name, and Spotlight guides you there effortlessly. You can save a file anywhere on your system with only a few keystrokes instead of all that tedious navigation through the file system that Linux or Windows would impose on you.

* Open Source and Unix! Mac OS X is built on a FreeBSD base, and thus supports a huge array of Open Source Software, via the DarwinPorts or Fink bases. I switched from Linux to Mac OS X and now have the best of both worlds, having installed all my old Linux favorites via DarwinPorts, plus having access to all the Mac OS X software.

* Encrypted virtual volumes. It is DEAD EASY to set up an encrypted virtual volume (an encrypted .dmg file) in which to keep your sensitive records - financials, wills, etc. Setting up the equivalent in Linux is an interesting tromp through the world of loopback volumes and encryption - anything but easy. And of course, it costs big money to get a program to allow you to do this in the Windows world. Mac OS X supports it "out of the box".

* Included Software. iLife is wonderful. Even the basic image viewer, Preview, is rich and feature packed.

* Spring loaded folders. What a GREAT idea and so easy to work with. To see this in action, drag an item and hold it over a folder icon. After a few seconds, the folder will spring open and you have suddenly descended into that folder. Do this repeatedly until you get to where you are going. This is a great way to move things to where you want them in an interactive way.

* Unsaved changes alert. The next time you are working on a document, take a look at Red "close" dot in the upper left corner of the window. Notice the little black dot that show up inside? This indicates that you have unsaved changes. Now save your file. Notice how the little black dot disappears? Isn't that neat? Its a little thing really, but really, really nice.

* Installing apps. Apps are basically self contained packages on Mac OS X. Installing is simplicity itself - just drag the .app file to the Applications folder. Thats it, all done! ...and applications don't strew hundreds of .lib.so.x and other support files all over your disk. Much, much more sensible!

* Application Integration! It all just works ...together. The integration between Safari and Mail is an excellent example of this. I LOVE the ability to email an entire web page (not a link, but a copy of the full content) with a single command. Did you know about this? Go to a web page that you would like to email to someone and type CMD-I. Boom! Mail opens up and presents you with a message ready to be mailed, whose content is the page you were just looking at. This is GREAT for mailing travel itineraries, or even just a story you saw on a web page that you wanted to share.

...OK, I will stop there. Just a few things to think about. Your Mac is much, much better than you are giving it credit for.

...and remember, back in the day when "horseless carriages" (now known as cars!) were breaking onto the scene, might some people have asked "what is so great about them? I see horses everywhere!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
i agree, i hate how no everything is as compatiable as it is with windows. but you have a windows so why are you complaning?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
remember you can alwaus run windows on a mac if u want to

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi,

I am a little upset with my Mac, I am starting to feel like I should of got a Dell with Windows.

Why?

I don't see why Mac's are better, I see Windows where ever I go.

So, there are more Windows machines than Macs. GM sells more cars than Toyota. Does that fact alone make them better cars?

I have a PC myself with Windows, It is not very powerful...

Great. Was there a point somewhere there that I missed?

I can't get my money back, please could someone help me.

Absolutely. Please start by telling us about your problem.

I hate the way everything is for Windows.

OK, am I to assume that you are trying to get a particular product working with your Mac? A little more information would be very helpful.

Should Apple just start shipping computers with Windows?

Nick.

No - and why would they? If you need something that only works with Windows, you can always run Windows on your Mac. Of course, there are plenty of people that have no need for anything other than Mac OS - so why should they be forced to pay for Windows too?

Please - the only way we're going to be able to help you is if you tell us about your problem. Incoherent rambling accomplishes nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
I think this thread typifies the issue facing all switchers... it's not windows, but it is a well-thought out personal computer. You just have to be willing to learn, and that can be a process of trial and error, asking the right questions, and to some degree... using the search, although I find that searches are not as intuitive as we'd like them to be.

But to the OP... we live in a PC world and we know that before we even walk into an Apple store. Apple _IS_ the minority player in the PC world. And while I'm straddling the fence, hoping to be able to co-exist with a Mac and my numerous PCs, I already know that I should be prepared for some rough sailing. Don't give up. Several years ago I had to learn IRIX and Alias on a SGI (anyone want to buy a complete seat?) and it took months to truly get familiar with that combo. But it can be done, just work at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Your ranting and unfocused post suggests you're having buyers remorse and feeling overwelmed about having to learn new ways. Although time consuming, it isn't that big a challenge for most people. Much of what you know from Windows applies to OS X.

Write down, in order, on paper, your needs of the computer and place the Finder at the top of list since that is your starting point in the system. Where available review tutorials to get familiar with your needs. Perhaps purchase a switchers book.

The 'Windows everywhere' syndrome is irrelavant to how good OS X is and what it can do for you. You bought into the idea of a Mac, so take the steps needed to learn it.

When you do come back here with a real question, first having done a search on the forums and perhaps elsewhere, keep your focus. See this post and this other post I did to get a clue about asking questions and why it is important to keep your focus.

Good luck with the new adventure. As someone else mentioned; IF OS X doesn't work out for you, then you can always load Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.