Sending files from Mac to PC = DAT format? Help!!!

Reaction score
Hey all,

Problem: When I send Word, Excel, jpeg, PDF, Tiff etc...files from my Mac to my friend who has a PC, he can't open anything because it is in dat format.

The strange thing is: He can sometimes open some of the files! The problem is almost always, however the times when he can open a Word file for example is very rare.

What cause file to be converted to .dat format? How can it be prevented?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi URFLiX, first of all, welcome to Mac Forums!

Can you describe how you are doing the send? I share these sorts of files all the time with friends and family on PCs, and have not encountered this issue. I use both email (Mac Mail and/or Thunderbird) and FTP (via a shared FTP site).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What email program are you using?

Sounds like it is they way attachments are encoded that is causing the problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
I've heard of Outlook encoding a "winmail.dat" file that only other Outlook users seem to be able to decode without the assistance of a third party app...

I've never heard about any other programs generating these files... Are you using Entourage, maybe? Perhaps Microsoft evil TNEF problem doesn't live only in Outlook?

Try googling "winmail.dat viewer" and see if one of the third party utilities is able to help...

One never knows...

J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.