noob browser question....

Reaction score
So I've been playing around with my new Mac mini and I'm loving it. I've been in the computer dark ages for quite a few years now and I'm loving the light! (I just upgraded from widows98se :Blushing:) I'm constently finding new cool things. I've been playing with Safari which I like but it locks up with gmail for me so I down loaded Camino. It's nice too and I down loaded Firefox too so I could compare how they all run. For my personal use I will eventually pick one but I have some work issues. I have some work sites that work only allows access on InternetExplorer5 or 6..... will IE6 work on the mac? I'm at work right now so I can't try it out for myself. I still have the old 98 HP downstairs so I can still access my work pages on that if I have to but I'd much rather use my mac. Maybe in bootcamp on Leopard when it comes out? (I'm getting the $9.95 uptodate!! WOOT). Any sage advice is welcome :D

Reaction score
I'm almost certain that IE6 for Mac isn't available for download anymore. I thought there was a plug-in you could download for Firefox.... I'm drawing a blank for that one, sorry. Perhaps someone else has some advise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Like rogair said, Internet Explorer is no longer available on the Mac.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll have to keep the old 98 brick on the desk downstairs collecting dust. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I haven't looked for it on the mac yet but on the pc for firefox you can download the addon called ie tab...
I'm almost certain that IE6 for Mac isn't available for download anymore. I thought there was a plug-in you could download for Firefox.... I'm drawing a blank for that one, sorry. Perhaps someone else has some advise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Isn't IE Tab just for Windows machines? Last I checked, it worked by utilizing the IE engine within Windows, and since OS X doesn't come with IE, you can't use the IE Tab extension.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 24" - 2.8ghz - 2 Gig Ram - 500 Gig HD
Isn't IE Tab just for Windows machines? Last I checked, it worked by utilizing the IE engine within Windows, and since OS X doesn't come with IE, you can't use the IE Tab extension.

Yup. IE Tab is not available for OSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Bootcamp, Fusion, or Parallels (maybe Codeweaver too) is your only option for getting IE on the Mac. MS stopped releasing an IE for Mac in version 5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If some sites say IE 6 only you can get around it and they usually work

Google Tinkertool and download it (free)

There is an option in the Safari tab to activate safari's hidden debug menu, activate it.

Start up safai and you will have an extra menu, one of which you can emulate different browsers - select windowsIE6 (or something like that?) and sites will be told by safari that it is IE6 - kind of lying to the website but it works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Changing the browser agent does work on some sites as stated above. It really just depends on what the site is using and why it only works in IE. At work there are several internal sites and no matter what agent you send to it, it will only work in IE. It definitely can't hurt to try though.

OP
W
Reaction score
Cool louishen I'll have to give that debug menu a try! I hope it works. Hard to say... corporate security are pretty gestapo-ish lately, I just hope they aren't to computer savie. I don't want to do anything I'm not suppose to I just want to have the access I had before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.