• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Job At The Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.0, 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD
I may apply for a job at the Apple store, being on the floor, answering questions and stuff, it'd be for Christmas.

I just got into Macs and stuff, but I am experienced in PC's, which they aren't as different.

I've built my own PC and everything, I was offered to apply at a computer store, which is a bit far for me, but the Apple store is closer.

I am just asking if theres something I should learn, I can only assume being on the floor is helping customers find the right laptop and or desktop for them and stuff.

If theres anything else let me know.

Oh, and the manager said, if I qualify, I can work there, I am 15. My goal is to fill out the online stuff, then go into the store and talk with the manager and kind of prove myself. And just for the record, I dont look 15, nor do I 'act' 15, I've been mistaken for a 20 year old, several times, so maturity is nothing.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Haha, I know the feeling of being mistaken for 10 years older than you actually are... The only advice I can offer you in terms of working there is know your Macs. Know what models come standard with what specs. Know prices. And smile! Don't try to force people to buy either.

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright.
Sounds good.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I would say memorize all the specs on the current lineup of macs and software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Does the Apple store even hire 15 year olds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Well good luck. The only advice I can give is that you'll need to be a little more autonomous with your information gathering about products, otherwise you may end up with more questions than answers for your customers.

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Knowing the whole lineup of computers and ipods, and knowing the specs of them all, with what software would best suit the customer, would be qualifying, wouldn't it? Or couldn't that be my forte. I could work on the floor by the computers and or ipods, instead of upstairs, by the tv tuners.

And the link you posted, to my previous thread, was before this happened, so obviously, I cant go apply today, seeing how I don't know that much at the moment in time.

The manager knows what he said. This even happend at the another computer store, more based on PC's, the manager liked my knowledge in the PC area and wanted me to work on the floor for Christmas, granted, that store is to far.

And dont be sterotypical, I dont know your definition of a 15 year old, but I've been complimented on being more mature then the average 15 year old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
i think it is isnt a matter of maturity as a matter of legality. except for a select few places no one hires at 15.

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already have a work permit, I have a job I do during the week, as I stated in my previous post, the manager knew what he was talking about, and I believe this is only for the Christmas shift, so I'd be an extra or a backup, something like that, I doubt it would be a full or even a part time job after the holiday season.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
sorry, must have missed that part.

Reaction score
Knowing all the prices and specs would be something you should know as facts, also learn mac OSx's strong points and what type of people should buy macs and how it would help them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
And dont be sterotypical, I dont know your definition of a 15 year old, but I've been complimented on being more mature then the average 15 year old.

How about you don't be rude and stop acting your age? ;)

My question on whether Apple hires 15 year olds is a legitimate question. As far as I know, you have to be 18 to work at an Apple store in the US, unless it's just a regional thing, but I doubt it.

Reaction score
I have hired many people in my time, so I want to encourage you to go for it.

One piece of advice that comes right from your initial post. You state that Macs and PCs aren't that different. One of the KEY elements in your success as a salesperson will be on how you can show that not only are they different but how the Mac experience is better in every way. If there is no difference, then your customer might as well buy a $500 Windows Laptop.

Lastly, the most important skill for a salesperson is the ability to listen. Too many salespeople run off at the mouth telling you how great whatever it is they are promoting, but not enough time listening to what it is the customers needs are.

Good luck

I may apply for a job at the Apple store, being on the floor, answering questions and stuff, it'd be for Christmas.

I just got into Macs and stuff, but I am experienced in PC's, which they aren't as different.

I've built my own PC and everything, I was offered to apply at a computer store, which is a bit far for me, but the Apple store is closer.

I am just asking if theres something I should learn, I can only assume being on the floor is helping customers find the right laptop and or desktop for them and stuff.

If theres anything else let me know.

Oh, and the manager said, if I qualify, I can work there, I am 15. My goal is to fill out the online stuff, then go into the store and talk with the manager and kind of prove myself. And just for the record, I dont look 15, nor do I 'act' 15, I've been mistaken for a 20 year old, several times, so maturity is nothing.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
My father works at a local Apple store here in Denver and you have to be 18+ to work there. Not to burst your bubble but I think you may have to wait a few years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook:: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo::1 Gig of RAM::160 Gigabyte Hard drive::10.4.10
I would feel a little akward being 15 working at an Apple Store. I feel like everyone would look at me as a kid who doesn't squat.

Reaction score
In the computer field, age has less to do with ability. I was involved in a successful Internet start-up and our first Network Engineer was 16 when we hired him, his parents had to sign for him. He is a Linux and network guru and still at the company 10 years later.

Our Manager of Network Operations was 21 and ran a team of 7 engineers and an infrastructure worth millions of dollars and did a great job.

Someone 15 these days has potentially been working with computers for 10 years.

I would feel a little akward being 15 working at an Apple Store. I feel like everyone would look at me as a kid who doesn't squat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook:: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo::1 Gig of RAM::160 Gigabyte Hard drive::10.4.10
In the computer field, age has less to do with ability. I was involved in a successful Internet start-up and our first Network Engineer was 16 when we hired him, his parents had to sign for him. He is a Linux and network guru and still at the company 10 years later.

Our Manager of Network Operations was 21 and ran a team of 7 engineers and an infrastructure worth millions of dollars and did a great job.

Yeah, I agree.

Just saying, most people would look at a 15 year old that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
Yea, I wanna get a part time job at an apple store, when I'm 18 or something, It would be such an awesome job :D

Too bad I'm also 15 and everyone i see working at an apple store looks 18+, so I think I'll feel kinda awkward.

Also, as I have mentioned in another post, not many apple stores in NZ, I've only seen ONE so far, and it was very small and deep with in a shopping mall.

Apple if you're reading this, please advertise Macs more in New Zealand... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

Age isn't everything, but neither is 'ability', at least in terms of knowledge. Maturity, communication skills, initiative and tyhe ability to deal with awkward people or people who may not share your point fo view, are important too. Where younger, less experienced people tend to struggle, at least in my experience, is when they're challenged and how they deal with that, and their ability to accept an alternative point of view.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.