So whats wrong with Tiger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20" 2.4GHz Leopard
G'day Mac zealots,

I'm a switcher. I have purchased my first Mac and love it. I have checked the threads and cant find any real reason why I should update to the new Leopard operating system! Is it that much better? Do I need it? What will it do that the OS I am using now will not do? Money is not a factor!(well maybe a bit) I have always worked on the principle; " If it aint broke dont fix it.
All assistance accepted gracefully.

Dfordean
OZ Man
and loving it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
Well, one of the nice features of Leopard is Boot Camp. It allows you to dual-boot a Windows environment. There's also a backup utility called Time Machine. Check out all the features of Leopard here. If in the end you decide there's really nothing you need, then why make the switch? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
So far from what I've read the main differences are GUI related. Things like the Vista-like transparent windows and the new look to the Dock. For now, the differences will be cosmetic. After some time, we will start to see more Leopard only versions of software. Right now, I run Panther and some programs (Like Safari or OpenOffice) won't allow me to run the latest versions and the same will be true at some point for Tiger.

Reaction score
Can you cut and paste in Leopard? That's the only thing I hate about OS X.

If you want to move a file, you need to drag it. Sometimes this takes too long and is hard to manuever when you have many applications running at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
for the time being there is no real reason you need to update to leopard. as you can see from another post, there is still quite a lot of people still using panther (10.3). most people are just going to wait for a couple updates and see what happens. but tiger should work for most people just fine for the time being.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Tiger is a great OS...I am sure Leopard will be that much better and I am anxiously awaiting mine on the 26th...but if you are happy with Tiger than stick with it for now. You can always go to a store that carries MACS and test drive the Leopard to see if you like it...Would your mac be a new one bought after Oct 1st?....If so you can get Leopard for $9.95

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The finder in Tiger sucks. Leopard is miles better.

Have a look at Apple's site to see if you like the new features or not. It's up to you whether to get it, but you will need to be on it in the next 2 years as Tiger becomes obsolete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
I wouldn't say it's an imperative upgrade. But Apple boosts there are 300 new features included with the new OS. Check out the link posted above for more information.

If you want to move a file, you need to drag it. Sometimes this takes too long and is hard to manuever when you have many applications running at the same time.

I understand your frustration. But instead of cut & paste, you can copy & paste: cmd + c , cmd + v (respectively).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

You can cut and paste files in Tiger too. Check out FileCutter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
FYI, Leopard is not all that you see in the features list. The speed improvements are amazing. Spotlight searches are quicksilver like...instant. Plus you can do searching over networks.

I think it has way too many features that make upgrading to leopard a no brainer. Sure, it feels like all that leopard has is a transparent menubar and coverflow in finder, but it goes deeper than that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I wouldn't go as far as to say there is anything wrong per se with Tiger, but there are improvements that many would like to see (spotlight/finder as examples). I think only the individual can decide whether or not it's worth the upgrade for themselves personally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Spaces.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/spaces.html

I want multiple desktops as I do when working in Linux (which I'm doing at the moment). I have 8 virtual desktops available, four of which I'm using at the moment. With Spaces, my MacBook will have added flexibility to do the things I want to do. ^_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
To me the biggest thing is that they updated all the libraries to be fully 64 bit (unlike tiger which is only partially 64 bit) and they added better support for dual core/dual processors. While these updates are not visible at all to the user, you will notice the change when applications begin to take advantage of this and everything will run much much faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
for cut and paste can't u just click the apple and c key to copy and then the apple and v key to paste? Am I missing something here?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
for cut and paste can't u just click the apple and c key to copy and then the apple and v key to paste? Am I missing something here?

He's talking about cutting and pasting files as you can in Windows. However, FileCutter (see link in my previous post in this thread) adds this capability to Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig
cover flow in leopard in finder looks amazingly gorgeous...
if it was a new windows os i'd say we all should do wait and see..but it is macintosh,so i dont see a reason except if like it so much now u should use it for a while more to upgrade..

Reaction score
Tiger is a great OS...I am sure Leopard will be that much better and I am anxiously awaiting mine on the 26th...but if you are happy with Tiger than stick with it for now. You can always go to a store that carries MACS and test drive the Leopard to see if you like it...Would your mac be a new one bought after Oct 1st?....If so you can get Leopard for $9.95

I bought my MBP after 10/1/07. How do I get Leopard for $9.95?

OP
dfordean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20" 2.4GHz Leopard
What a great forum. Thanks to all who commented! I'll probably stick with Tiger for a while and then swap....Thanks again.
Dean

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.