OS X Tiger Licencing & used copies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
I currently Run Panther and with Leopard around the corner and no good news yet about it working on my suped up G4, I'm looking at getting a copy of Tiger. What I wonder about is I see copies for sale on e-bay/craigs list and wonder how apple software licencing works and if buying a used copy of Tiger would have problems. Is there some kind of tracking like with MS Windows activation that could invalidate a copy bought this way?

Last thing I want to do is spend $50 - $100 on a shiny coaster with an apple logo on it ;D

Thanks,

MikeM

M

MacHeadCase

You shouldn't have any problems buying a used copy of OS X 10.4 Tiger. Just make sure you don't buy a restore disk but the full retail install. Restore disks are model/hardware specific.

This is what the DVD install should look like:

attachment.php

There is no Mac model written on the DVD. And you own an older Mac so also make sure it can read DVDs: most of the Tiger install disks will come in DVD form, the CD installer disk kit was on special order only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
There's no product activation. Unlike Microsoft, Apple trusts you to play by the rules and accepts a certain percentage will be pirated instead of wasting money developing anti-piracy methods that often make legitimate users suffer.

Vista was launched in January and loosely cracked pretty shortly. By June, there an easy one-click crack was developed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
The requirements on apple said G4 867 MHZ or faster for Leopard...hope that helps...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.