3 Clicks and POOF!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
This is driving me nuts.

If I perform a right mouse click on a file or folder to say call up the Info on it then this is fine for the first and second time I do it. However on the third time everything on screen just dissapears. Any Finder windows shut down completey and any other open program is minimized back to the dock, all icons on the desktop dissapear for a couple of seconds including those for all drives, the dock dissapears as does the main menu at the top of the screen. After a second or two it all comes back but I have to re-open any Finder windows.

The problem was particulary bad when I was using the Mighty Mouse but I've now swapped over to an M$ one and although the problem has improved, it now doesnt always do it on the 3rd click, but it is still there.

I'm not even talking about 3 rapid clicks there can be several seconds or longer between each click but, certainly with the Mighty Mouse, the 3rd click almost always guranteed everything dissapearing/minimizing.

Any ideas because it's really, really annoying?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Just a guess but check to see, first if you had 'actions' or motions set to happen with the mighty mouse, but also with the ms mouse. I've read that this can be done with MM but also know there are progs that do this and might also be a function in 10.4 (I'm not wholly sure as I haven't looked around alot)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think it's that because 1. I don't know how to set actions or motions so wouldnt know where to check and 2. It's been like this since the day I bought it and since then there have been multiple patches to OSX that have been downloaded. I've just checked it again and it still definitely does it with my M$ Mouse, 3 right clicks and POOF!

Driving me insane!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
hmmm well I'm not sure what is causing it all but I know that some progs and even updates can be an issue and some add thier own settings but most of all the mighty mouse has it's own actions and sensitivities to them I think... I haven't used dashboard or expose but was shown for a second what they could do and it does sound to me like this might have something to do with them... don't quote me tho. It's all kind of new to me as I know more about os9 and photoshop hehe

You should check out your mouse and keyboard settings whether you changed them or not, but here you can also adjust them to your liking... You can find it under the little blue apple at the top left hand of your screen under system preferences... This is also where you can set a lot of things.. How your puter reacts for instance, and auto actions and startups. The mighty mouse interacts with 'dashboard and expose' (so this might lead you to why your shutdowns happen as mighty mice are sensitive to actions) and then you can also set your sensitivities in 'keyboard and mouse'. check out this article http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302063

Good luck to you!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That one part sounds like the Finder is crashing and restarting a few seconds later.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aha SOLVED IT.

Never in a million years would I have thought to do this but thanks to a genius over on the Apple Support forums it's fixed.

If anyone else is unfortunate enough to suffer this the solution is as follows:

Go to your Home folder (the one with your name on it) and open the Library folder and then open the Contextual Menu Items folder. If you see a plugin inside this folder for StuffIt drag it to your desktop and see if that fixes the problem. If not or there isn't a plugin for StuffIt in that folder than try looking in the one on the root level i.e. MacHD/Library/Contextual Menu Item.

Worked for me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.