iMac 24 - which one?

Reaction score
Just about to take the plunge into the Mac. I am looking to purchase a new 24" iMac from MacMall. I'm essentially torn between the 2.4ghz and 2.8 ghz. The 2.4 is $500 less than the 2.8.

The 2.8 has a slightly larger hard drive [I do not care; will be using an external drive for most everything] and it has 2 gig RAM instead of 1 gig in the 2.4.

However, I am leaning toward the 2.4 because it seems I can purchase 4 gig of Crucial RAM for $303 and then sell the 1 gig that comes with the 2.4 on ebay.

Question: is Crucial [or other name brand RAM] faster than whatever comes in the native Apple setup?

The 2.8 is roughly 15% "faster" than the 2.4; is that really significant (will be using lots of Photoshop and video editing).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro: 2.4GHz | 13" MacBook: White 2.16GHz | 24" iMac: 2.8GHz
Just my personal input, I don't think much people need 4GB of RAM, it's a little much. The only thing that I can think of that you would be doing which would require you to need 4GB of RAM would be: hacking another computer or database, running iTunes, running multiple tabs in Safari, ripping a DVD using MacTheRipper, downloading a torrent from Transmission, and editing images with Adobe Photoshop CS3 all at the same time.. And I'm pretty sure a 2GB RAM could do that flawlessly, and with a 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme processor, again, no problem.

No matter what brand of RAM it is, it's the same speed, unless the MHz are different, the only difference is the reliability. And once you replace that RAM with a foreign one (Crucial), the warranty is void, that's right folks, void. I like my 24" iMac: 2.8GHz, it's a beast. :] Also, it is pretty hard to make modifications to an iMac, think about it: it's cramming all that stuff, into that little space.

Or.. If you're trying to save some bucks, you can always go with the 2.4GHz processor and add $150 to update it to a 2GB RAM, because 2.4GHz is still a monster of a processor. And it wouldn't void the warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD
Get the 2.8, it's cooler.
haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHZ Core Duo Extreme, 2GB RAM, 750GB Hard Drive - iPhone 3G - Aluminium MacBook 2.4GHZ
Wombat33, I'm in exactly the same rut as you dude.

However, I've also just bought 2GB of memory from Crucial for my MacBook for like £44, I don't know what that is in $'s off the top of my head, so for the next month or so until Leopard has it's bugs fixed I'm sorted.

I'm leaning towards the 2.4GHZ because I can't see when I'll ever need that kind of processing power provided by the 2.8GHZ model. But, surely having that processing power would give us an excuse to use it right? i.e. buy loads of games, photoshop etc. For the extra £200 I'd have no worries with buying the top spec 2.8GHZ. 4GB of memory is definitely not needed though. 2GB is more than enough for anyone unless you're going to do the stuff that 'cjbowen.apple' has already mentioned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner
And once you replace that RAM with a foreign one (Crucial), the warranty is void, that's right folks, void.

I really doubt that is the case. Otherwise why would they make it so easy for users to access the memory slots?

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Good information. I had no idea that 2gig RAM was more than sufficient. I think I'll go for the 2.4ghz and add a little more RAM.

Besides, I have to upgrade by Adobe CS (PC) to Adobe CS3 Premium (Mac). I can use the money to make that upgrade. Adobe told me they would make that upgrade for about $600 (does that seem like a good deal?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
I really doubt that is the case. Otherwise why would they make it so easy for users to access the memory slots?

So you can purchase RAM from Apple and install it yourself.

M

MacHeadCase

*Snip*
And once you replace that RAM with a foreign one (Crucial), the warranty is void, that's right folks, void.
*Snip*

Not true. RAM is listed at Apple as Consumer Installable Parts (changed recently to Do It Yourself or DIY): the instructions for adding new RAM and the specs of the RAM needed for a specific Mac model are available in the Mac's Owner Manual AND online on Apple's website. Here is an example of the iMac G5 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Instructions (pdf files).

What voids the warranty is not the brand you install but if instructions provided are not followed.

Follow the instructions in this sheet carefully. Failure to follow these instructions could
damage your equipment and void its warranty.

OP
W
Reaction score
Core Duo "Extreme"

I just noticed that the 2.8ghz iMac 24" says it comes with Core Duo Extreme. Is the "Extreme" verbiage just a marketing word, or does it mean that the "Extreme" version carries more umph?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Extreme IMO is just marketing. IF you can detect the difference then you will "Extreme"ly fortunate and a few bucks lighter. I have a one gen old 24" and I have only 1.5GB of RAM and it is way more than I need and I am in graphics though FCP and Photoshop are not what I do. The choice is yours and any new gen iMac will fill you up emotionally.

For what it is worth, I always buy refurbished as you have a sense of history with the brand and it's issues. The new gen seems to have video issues and my gen is golden. I have the 2.16 ghz model. Is the 650ghz less filling - not at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
I'd go with the 2.8 but than I am the faster the better person...I am to Macs as many are to cars...vroom vroom is my motto...LOL

I try to buy the best that I can afford for resale value...of course I am also sitting here with all five of my Macs and have not managed to sell one yet....member of the family ya know...LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.