I need help getting my sound back

Reaction score
I downloaded boot camp and then I had no sound and decided to just unistall it hoping that I could get my sound back..and that didn't work. What effects did boot camp have on my comp besides loss of sound? Does anyone know how to get the sound back on my computer? Will reinstalling osx do the trick? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
BootCamp would have no direct effect on the sound.
So where do you not have sound - in iTunes, DVD Player?
Have you verified that you do not have the volume muted or turned down all the way?
Have you tried re-booting the machine?
What all have you tried?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I only installed bootcamp for Parallels, so I doubt that had anything to do with it, but iChat and Mail sounds will go away between sleeps if they're running when I close the lid. I found that quitting them, going into Activity Monitor to quit coreaudiod is necessary to fix that. Restarting iChat and Mail brings their sounds back.

However, other sounds (iTunes, file moving 'boings' and such) still work.

Note: Not OP. To the OP, try the coreaudiod thing and see if that works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.