Am I an unlucky one? - MBP locks up

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 15" MBP 2.2G 2G RAM. About 1 month old.

The scenario is that I have three Apps open; DVD player, Final Cut Pro and Motion.

I flick backwards and forwards between the apps, watching and pausing a Tutorial DVD, whilst making changes in FCP and Motion.

Every now-and-again the Mac just freezes, usually when I'm watching/pausing the DVD.
At this point nothing is accessible; no Force Quit, no Mouse movement, no Dock, no nothing.
My only option is to hold down the power button to turn off the machine.

Anyone kind enough to offer suggestions or direct me to the right place for a fix?

Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
That doesn't sound normal to me... Any other problems at any other times?

OP
D
Reaction score
not really any other major problems. FCP quit unexpectedly once which I was suprised about on a new system.

I'm a new switcher and one of the main reasons I switched, is to avoid such random unexplained problems.

Am I to expect problems like this all the time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Force Quit should always be accessible. If the keyboard shortcut doesn't work I use activity monitor to quit a non-working app. But this has happened only a hand full of times in the past year.
It quits during DVD playback? Is the DVD clean and clear of scratches and such?

OP
D
Reaction score
I agree Force Quit should always be accessible, but in my case it isn't.

It has happened with both the DVD's I have used [one DVD-RW, and one commercial DVD].
Both of them are clean, the commercial DVD has a few small scratches on it, nothing major.

But even if a DVD has scratches 'Force Quit' should still work right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i would advise some more ram, that is a lot of work to put on a machine at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Since it is so new & expensive I would contact apple under your warranty.

OP
D
Reaction score
i would advise some more ram, that is a lot of work to put on a machine at the same time.

thanks for the advice.

I hate to swear in here, but my my windows xp machine with the same ram and same processor could handle it... I honestly don't think it's a lot for a computer to handle these days, especially not a 'Pro' one.

plus when i look at the activity monitor just before it locks, there's around 300-500M free.

I wonder if I have a faulty one... think i'll give the nice people in support a call.

Whats the best way of getting help from them?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.