• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

No Video Imported

Reaction score
I live in the states and have successfully imported video that I shot previously using a Sony DV camcorder with IMovie 6. A friend of mine has a Sony Camcorder DV that is almost identical, but he lives in S Africa. He sent me some tapes that he recorded. I can play them in my DV camcorder but when I try to import them, I cannot. I am hooked up with a firewire and can control the DV camcorder from the MacBook Pro to start the import. I can see the film on the camera display screen playing but a blue screen is what I see in IMovie 6 with no data being transferred at all.

I tried changing the setting of IMovie 6 to PAL and no joy there either. I have also tried the same with IMovie 8...no joy there at all. Is this something that can be solved? Does it take an A to D converter or what?

Cheers,

AKMatt

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.