I broke my Sidebar and Desktop :(

Reaction score
*SOLVED* I broke my Sidebar and Desktop :(

OK this is the stupidest thing I've done since I renamed my Home folder...
I was "spring cleaning" my home folder this time, and I deleted a bunch of folders that I didn't need anymore. However I must have clicked something else by mistake because now ALL my desktop icons (except Macintosh HD) have disappeared and the sidebar is blank except for Home and Applications. Even though the Desktop folder is alive and well, and Finder assures me that everything is still in the sidebar...

And yes, I stupidly emptied the trash. Its reflex lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Oops they're not in Finder Preferences either. I suppose I could just drag them back but that doesn't solve the desktop disappearance thing

EDIT AGAIN: If this helps, I can't drag the desktop folder to the sidebar, it just disappears...

Reaction score
Well, in a way it is helpful. If for some reason, someone in the future does the same thing and searches, it could provide a possible fix ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Don't feel stupid...thats how we all learn here...your not alone believe me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Eh, don't feel stupid. The best way to learn some things is by experimentation. You're not going to do any harm to your computer by playing with settings in OSX... you could wind up having to wipe the drive and reinstall the OS, but you won't actually do any physical harm to anything.

Keep your documents and important files backed up and experiment away. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.