Switching to Mac with Leopard

Reaction score
Hi, I am planning on getting a new imac when leopard is released. Hopefully on 10/26/07. More than likely I will need to install leopard over tiger. Since I am a new mac user do you recommend waiting till I can get one pre-loaded with leopard? Will it cause me trouble by upgradeing down the road? I don't won't to destroy my new imac. Also will the original disk that came in the box with the computer be useless or will the leopard disk have all the drivers on it? Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
i think the computers come pre-loaded with leopard the day it comes out, plus if you buy a pre-load you dont have to pay money for the upgrade. Being as apple makes all the mac hardware leopard will have the drivers for any computer it is capable of being installed on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Hi Accord , If you receive your machine without Leopard and obtain a disk to upgrade, it will just upgrade the O/S the rest should be fine. Won't cause any problems.

Reaction score
i would say wait till it comes preinstalled since yu are a new mac user. but if you dont and you have a problem apple has wonderful tech support.

-jeremi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Computers shipped on or after the 26th will come with leopard pre-installed. Apple stores will have machines with Leopard installed on them in the store a few days prior to that date ready to come out of the backroom midnight on the 26th. All computers coming from the Apple online store on the 26th will also have Leopard. Every company dies this. There is no need to wait a few days after the release in order to get a preloaded machine. I remember when Vista came out, my wife got an HP machine that same day from our local CC. On the box was a huge red label that warned the store not to sell it prior to that date, that way the computer could be sitting waiting, ready to go on the exact day of release. The only issue I could see is that maybe the Apple store refurbs may not have Leopard on them if purchased that day.

Reaction score
Computers shipped on or after the 26th will come with leopard pre-installed. Apple stores will have machines with Leopard installed on them in the store a few days prior to that date ready to come out of the backroom midnight on the 26th. All computers coming from the Apple online store on the 26th will also have Leopard. Every company dies this. There is no need to wait a few days after the release in order to get a preloaded machine. I remember when Vista came out, my wife got an HP machine that same day from our local CC. On the box was a huge red label that warned the store not to sell it prior to that date, that way the computer could be sitting waiting, ready to go on the exact day of release. The only issue I could see is that maybe the Apple store refurbs may not have Leopard on them if purchased that day.

That's what I was hoping. A rep at my local Apple store said they weren't going to have pre-loaded machines and would instead include a Leopard upgrade disc. This was holding me back from purchasing in-store because I wanted a machine with a fresh install and didn't want to worry about having to re-load iLife myself. I'll check with my store again a few days before release to confirm if they have pre-loaded Leopard machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I have never heard of a store selling an out-of date o.s. on a computer, but including an upgrade disk. At midnight on the 26th Leopard is the new "Face" of apple, and all other Operating systems are out of date or obsolete (at least in apples eyes they will be). I would check to be sure prior to purchasing the system, but like I said, Leopard loaded computer will be in stores in the back rooms prior to the release date, and at midnight the stores will roll them out. Happened when Microsoft released vista, happens when a new video game is released, a new book comes out, etc.... The whole point behind hyping a release date is to get people excited, get people ready to pounce, get people camping out in front of the store. Wouldn't make much sense for Apple to announce a release date, hype it, then sell Macs with the old Operating system on the release day.

That's what I was hoping. A rep at my local Apple store said they weren't going to have pre-loaded machines and would instead include a Leopard upgrade disc. This was holding me back from purchasing in-store because I wanted a machine with a fresh install and didn't want to worry about having to re-load iLife myself. I'll check with my store again a few days before release to confirm if they have pre-loaded Leopard machines.

Reaction score
I'm hoping it's true! With my luck, they will be sold out of the 24in iMac by the time I get there! Luckily i'll be able to get there by 6pm...just hope people aren't camping out like they were when the iPhone was released! :Oops:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
When Apple start to sell the latest OS on Friday the 26th at 6:00PM. All of the systems in the store will be at the latest version of the OS (10.5). As for the systems in the back with previous version of the OS, Apple normally inserts a copy of the new install media in the boxes.

Apple does not do the open the store at midnight thing.

Reaction score
I'll just have to make sure that the iMac I purchase has Leopard pre-loaded. While it isn't really hard to use the upgrade discs, I'd rather have it done for me and not have to worry about reloading iLife from the original discs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
If you buy an New Mac after Oct 1st and it does not come pre-loaded with Leopard, Apple is letting buyers update to Leopard for only $9.95....will work fine...I upgraded all my macs to Tiger when it came out and they are running great!...Apple has the easiest upgrade I have ever seen compared to Windows...have fun with the new mac..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.