• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Will this meet my Video needs?

Reaction score
Hello everyone [F1rst P0st w00t!!111!!]

Anyways....

My PowerBook G4 is fast approaching its third birthday, when it becomes even more outdated and looses the Apple Care Protection Plan.

I use the Final Cut Pro Suite of software, and have just gotten usto the Mac interface so of course I am going to stick with the software/hardware.

I have come to the realization that I use my laptop as more of a desktop than anything, so i'm thinking of this configeration for my next machiene.

I kinda want an intelligent second option that doesnt have a sales pitch attached to it. I figure if I get an awesome Desktop for my needs and then sell off my powerbook [anyone know what a 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 with a gig of ram and Final Cut Pro Software is going for now adays?] then get a low end MacBook for my portable needs.... Let me know what you think!!

What I want....

-iMac 20in. 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB ram [prob put another gig in myself] 320GB HDD, SuperDrive
-Final Cut Pro Studio 2
-VMware Fusion [like paralles but newer and better i hear]
-APP for the iMac

Then later on after I sell my powerbook...
-MacBook 2.16 GHz Black, 1GB ram, 160GB HDD, SuperDrive, install above software also
-App for the MacBook

Thx for the feedback!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
I think your heading the right way, iMacs are very nice for editing i heard but i would go with a mac pro, cost alil more but its worth it, and no to the macbook, you need a macbook pro for fcp2 to work right, color wont run on it at all. Another bad thing about a imac thats only 20in is that your kinda stuck with that screen.

OP
A
Reaction score
True, but I have lived with a 17in Screen on my PowerBook working with Final Cut, and I really do not need the processing power that comes with the Mac Pro. And now that I see that the MacBook is the same price as an iMac, i'm gonna look for an alternative....maybe just an iPod Touch.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
O ok sounds good, what kind of editing do you do? Is it just like a once in a while gig, for fun, or is it a job?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro. 16GB iPod Touch.
I wouldn't sell the PowerBook to get a MacBook personally... Those Powerbooks are super good machines, I'd hold into it as long as it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.