Mouse clicking on it's own - HELP!

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a relatively new switcher and I am having a really really annoying problem. The mouse seems to be clicking on it's own. If I put it over a link, or a program launch, or anything, it seems to click on it's own, whenever it feels like it.
I checked the settings, nothing has changed, that I know of. Although, I do not know the "default" settings. I also do not use any external USB mouse - I am talking about the one on the MacBook itself.
Please help. I love my MacBook so much, and this is terribly frustrating. Thanks so much. Good night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Go into System Preferences and open the Keyboard & Mouse preferences.

Under Track Pad Gestures, see if Cicking is selected. If so de-select it. Ditto for the option below that.

Under Trackpad Options, select Igore accidental trackpad input.

Those are the only things I can think of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The other thing to do is mechanical. I find I have to do this now and then. Quite literally, knock the mouse vigorously against something reasonably soft, like the side of your leg. This will move / free-up any foreign particles that may have gotten inside the mouse and may be making transient contacts.

My mouse was doing this very thing a few weeks ago, particularly while I was dragging stuff from one place to another. It kept getting dropped mid drag, even though I was still holding the mouse button down. A few vigorous hits of the mouse on my leg and all was well. No problem since then.

By the way, this seems to work for TV remotes too, when the buttons stop working or get stuck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.