potential switch to mac-questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
Hello,
I have limited use on Mac as life long windows user, but from what I've used I like a lot.
So, I am thinking of chucking my pc for a mac pro.
Question though: I am a writer, and word is a must for me, as is a good email client. I don't think ilife and iwork will do it for me.
Can anyone tell me if they are running windows through parallels and if this works well enough. I don't want to have to reboot.
The only thing I can really see needing from windows is outlook and word.
My next question is, can any other mouse be used with mac? I absolutely hate the mighty mouse thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Hello,
I have limited use on Mac as life long windows user, but from what I've used I like a lot.
So, I am thinking of chucking my pc for a mac pro.
Question though: I am a writer, and word is a must for me, as is a good email client. I don't think ilife and iwork will do it for me.
Can anyone tell me if they are running windows through parallels and if this works well enough. I don't want to have to reboot.
The only thing I can really see needing from windows is outlook and word.
My next question is, can any other mouse be used with mac? I absolutely hate the mighty mouse thing.

Of course you can use most mice with a Mac. You are by no means limited by the Apple Mighty Mouse. There is Office 2004 for Mac http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/office/ and in January Office 2008 will be released for Mac http://www.macoffice2008.com/ It does not use Outlook but rather Entourage. If you do not like it, there are others out there like MacMail or Thunderbird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
You could just buy MS Office 2004 or 2008 which is coming out soon for mac

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thinking of switching-I have an idea

Hi,
I've been thinking of switching and, while being ambivalent, I also can't decide whether an imac or pro desktop would be my choice.
So, before I take the plunge on either, I was thinking of getting a mac mini, which can be had used for $549 with a student discount, and running it side by side my windows machine for a few months until I get the hang of everything. My 24" widescreen monitor has multiple inputs, so I can pip with windows and mac.
Do you think these minis are resaleable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
I dont think Apple makes a product that is not resaleable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
It depends on what you want to do with it. For basic office applications, surfing and multimedia, a Mini would be more than enough. However, if you are planning to do some gaming, it wouldn't be the right choice. Since MacMini comes with a weak graphic card(shared memory) you might suffer if you plan to do some graphic intensive work.

If you are planning to buy a one, I would suggest you to add more RAM(maximum possible).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
It depends on what you want to do with it. For basic office applications, surfing and multimedia, a Mini would be more than enough. However, if you are planning to do some gaming, it wouldn't be the right choice. Since MacMini comes with a weak graphic card(shared memory) you might suffer if you plan to do some graphic intensive work.

If you are planning to buy a one, I would suggest you to add more RAM(maximum possible).

I played World of Warcraft on it with zero issues, but there may be some games you would need to set the graphic settings a little lower than max...

I also ran PS, Illustrator and even web designed on it

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not going to do any games. Maybe I will do some photoshop stuff with my wacom pad but that's it.

I just want to make sure I like the OS enough to switch over completely, and I figure the mini is the smallest investment.
I have been looking on craigslist for used laptops and they go for big money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not going to do any games. Maybe I will do some photoshop stuff with my wacom pad but that's it.

I just want to make sure I like the OS enough to switch over completely, and I figure the mini is the smallest investment.
I have been looking on craigslist for used laptops and they go for big money.

You may want to consider going to your local Apple store so you can play around with the computers there a bit so you can at least get a glimpse of the OS. A test drive if you will. :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have some experience using macs at school, but not enouogh to really be comfortable for the major switch.

I guess my main thing is I want to see how parallels works, because I absolutely must have word in it's native windows form, not the mac version.
I went to the apple store and they didn't have any demos with parallels running.
I couldn't believe that, but they didn't. Shame on them.
They did tell me, however, that you have a 14 day return policy with 10% restock fee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have some experience using macs at school, but not enouogh to really be comfortable for the major switch.

I guess my main thing is I want to see how parallels works, because I absolutely must have word in it's native windows form, not the mac version.
I went to the apple store and they didn't have any demos with parallels running.
I couldn't believe that, but they didn't. Shame on them.
They did tell me, however, that you have a 14 day return policy with 10% restock fee.

Out of curiosity why do you absolutely need the Windows version of Word?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi there
I need win word because I am a writer and need to send files that work with windows word. I know there are issues with docx files and mac, and yes there is a fix, but I want the real thing.
Most of my writer friends say the mac version of word isn't as good.

Plus- I need excel for other stuff.

Reaction score
Word for Mac is the real thing. Heck, older versions of Office for Windows have problems with docx files. Get Office 2004 for Mac and stop worrying. Excel and Word are the real deals. Office 2008 may look a little more similar to Office 2007 on Windows, but they are essentially the same.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a friend who has 2004. I'll have to check it on hers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
I switched 3 months ago and now have 3 Macs.

Get the Logitech MX Revolution for a desktop mac, or a Logitech VX Nano for MacBook/Pro. Both offer MAC drivers and set-up software via their website.

"Pages" is very cool. Before you buy Office 2004 try iWork, there is a 30 day trial on the Apple site.

As for Outlook. If I was not on an Exchanger server I would ditch Entourage. and just use mail. In fact after Leopard comes out Mail 3.0 may allow me to do that. All depends on iCal and if it can talk to Exchange in some way. Either way I would wait a week or so and get your MBP with 10.5 on it.

I am running Vista in Parallels with 4gb of RAM. I only push 1gb to Parallels and it runs great. I use it for Quickbooks. Until Intuit allows credit card processing on the Quickbooks for Mac I have to stay with Windows in some form.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will look at the logitech mouse. On my pc I am using the Logitech G5 and I love it. I don't think it has mac drivers. But I will look at the other one.
I think I am going to go with a mac pro, as I may be doing some final cut work later on. I will wait until Leopard either way.
I hear ya on the mail sync thing. My phone is a windows mobile and it will be a bummer for me on a mac, unless I get missing sync or something. ( Iphone is not an option due to lack of sim card switchability)
I use quickbooks too for my hubby's small business. I am going to get it for mac, but have to make sure I can import my windows backup into it.
I know all this will be a pain but I'm sure once I am finally converted I will probably thank myself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.