Installing New Icons??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
Hey guys,

I have downloaded packs from Apple.com and im wondering how i install them or change existing icons?

ie: HDD on the desktop?

Cheers!

Reaction score
It should be relatively easy, you use the good old 'Cut & Paste' method. Bring up the Get Info window of the icon you want and then bring up the Get Info window of the icon you want to change ...

Firstly you select the icons image in the top left of the Get Info window and a little blue highlighted box surrounds it to let you know it's selected ... then press the keyboard combo of Command + C for Copy, then go to the Get Info window of the icon you want changed and select the little icon in the top left as you did before ... but this time press Command + V for Paste ...

The icon should then change to the desired image, in a perfect world that is ... so hopefully yours is one .. finally just close the Get Info windows.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
hmm.. i tried that? and it didnt work?

im interested in changing the main hdd icon on my desktop..

it doesnt seem to want to work.. any other ideas??

Reaction score
It's likely to be a Permissions issue. The HD belongs to the System and therefore you need to become an owner but only temporarily, until the icon is looking how you want, that is. Then you'll need to return the Permissions to default again.

Click on the HD icon and then bring up the Get Info window and look to the bottom and you will probably see that you have "Read Only" access. This is why the icon wouldn't change.

Click on the "Details:" arrow and change the "Owner" to your User name with Read & Write Access. There should be a locked padlock to the right of the Owner tab so you'll need the Admin password/username to unlock this. Click on the Padlock to bring up the text box.

When you have the icon changed, just set the Permissions back how you found them and click the lock, to lock it of course.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
hmm.. i tried that? and it didnt work?

im interested in changing the main hdd icon on my desktop..

it doesnt seem to want to work.. any other ideas??

I think I see what you are trying to do, try to download the icons from this sight. It's easy to change the images once you get the icons downloaded, you just right click and select get info on the icon you want to use. the in the top left there is a small version of the icon that you click once on so you have highlighted it. then do edit copy and then right click and get info on the place you want the new icon to go.(in your case the desktop hard drive icon) then click and highlight the icon in the top left and hit  V and your new logo should be there!

Reaction score
Spawn__Dooley;503920 said:
It should be relatively easy, you use the good old 'Cut & Paste' method. Bring up the Get Info window of the icon you want and then bring up the Get Info window of the icon you want to change ...

Firstly you select the icons image in the top left of the Get Info window and a little blue highlighted box surrounds it to let you know it's selected ... then press the keyboard combo of Command + C for Copy, then go to the Get Info window of the icon you want changed and select the little icon in the top left as you did before ... but this time press Command + V for Paste ...

The icon should then change to the desired image, in a perfect world that is ... so hopefully yours is one .. finally just close the Get Info windows.

Should have read your post before posting mine! :Oops:

Still interfacelift.com is a nice sight to get icons from.

Reaction score
I should also add that to return the HD icon to it's default, just change the Ownership & Permissions again then click on the icon in the top left of the Get Info window and press Command + X and the original icon will be restored ... just be sure to return the Ownership & Permissions to their default

Reaction score
where did you get your icons from? is there site for them. i made a thread earlier regarding this but didnt get any response.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
you can get icons from interfacelift.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.