• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

i-movie FX judder on TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Not one of the easiest thread titles, how best to describe this...

I have noticed with i-movie that when using an effect such as sloe motion or the warp effect, once the movie is burned to DVD and played on my MBP the effects look flawless and smooth but when played on a standard television set the effect is juddery and looks awful.

This is out of my league to fix but I am hoping there is a way to fix it.

Cheers

CR

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Need to bump this up - if there isn't an answer there must be a reason why slow mo on an i-movie DVD is smooth on the laptop and jerky on a standard television.

Reaction score
Not one of the easiest thread titles, how best to describe this...

I have noticed with i-movie that when using an effect such as sloe motion or the warp effect, once the movie is burned to DVD and played on my MBP the effects look flawless and smooth but when played on a standard television set the effect is juddery and looks awful.

This is out of my league to fix but I am hoping there is a way to fix it.

Cheers

CR

See if this info is a help to tidying up your finished product ...

Speed-adjusted iMovie clips must be rendered so they won't flicker on a television. Are you recording the movie on your camera by just hitting the play button after starting your camera?

Unlike transitions between clips, speed-adjusted clips don't automatically render. To render them, go to the File menu and select Export Movie. Make sure the Export: selection is set for "To Camera" then click the Render Now button.

After it's finished, you can also use this window as a better way to copy the movie to your camera. Most cameras will start recording automatically with this feature, and you can define how long to wait for the camera heads to spin up and start moving the tape, as well as how many seconds of black you want before and after the entire timeline.

iMovie HD 6 renders deinterlaced video when it exports to iDVD or to a camcorder so the motion is jerky when watched on an interlaced TV.

For interlaced material you have to use this step (skip this with progressive material):

Do a fake export to camcorder (with no camcorder attached). This will force iMovie to render (i.e. deinterlace) the slo-mo clip (not doing so would produce an awful zigzag effect when that slo-mo frame is viewed on an interlaced TV).

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
OKwill try this, however Iwon't knoe exactly which clips will require an effect or speed adjustment until all the footage has been shot.

When I do know, simply hignlight the clip and export it to camcorder? I'm not sure that the export drop down menu has camcorder there but I will try - cheers.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
I tried the above but there is no 'Render Now button' - it was my understanding that ANY effects did render automatically and were done when the red line was full.

Speeded up clips are ok on a standard TV it is just slow-mo and the warp out effect.

There must be a simpler solution to this problem, maybe the effect looks fine on a modern flatscreen HD TV but there is no way of finding outuntil thye project is complete.

Really need help with this, the end result must look professional, or as professional as it can on i-movies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Are you using the correct project type (PAL or NTSC?).

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Should be PAL right?

How do I check?

If anyone can solve this problem for me I will buy them a beer (providing they come to Bangkok and get it) - that's a promise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.