Which version of Windows for my Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner
As mentioned on another thread, I'll most likely (fingers crossed) be getting myself a Mac Pro next month. Unfortunately, I still need to use a couple applications that are only available on a Windows platform, particularly AutoCAD, Rhino, and 3D Studio MAX.

I'm in the process of learning ArchiCAD, which I'm hoping will become my Mac-native replacement for AutoCAD. Rhino is planning to release a Mac version soon, and depending on how good I become with Rhino, I may be able to live without 3D Studio MAX altogether. In the meantime, though, I need Windows.

I was originally planning on getting Windows XP Pro, which is what I use now. It has the advantages of familiarity and being relatively stable (for a MS product, anyway). Are there any compelling reasons I should consider the 64-bit version of XP Pro, or one of the dozen versions of *shudder* Vista?

Whatever I get, I'll be installing it via Boot Camp and most likely occasionally running it with either Parallels or Fusion.

Thanks....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
XP Pro. It's the only version of Windows right now that I'd actually trust to use. I don't think bootcamp supports XP 64bit (it's not on the supported list on the Apple website).

OP
DSCole312
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks... That's the direction I'm leaning.

I already own an upgrade version of XP Pro SP2... But I don't suppose there's any way around spending $300 for the full version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
What about VMware fusion? Yes buy a copy of Windows XP but run those apps through Fusion?

Why do you need a native XP installation? I try not to reboot my computer. My last Dell lasted 2 weeks with a lot of reboots.

Nick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
XP Pro 32 bit. Stay away from the 64 bit - no real need and very limited driver support. Stay away from Vista - don't walk away, run away ... screaming! :D

OP
DSCole312
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I figured so... I haven't yet heard a single good thing about Vista, and I spend my workday surrounded by tech-savvy PC people. At my last job, our IT guy bought a brand-new Dell laptop with Vista pre-loaded (he didn't have a choice)... The OS was so buggy and unstable, he demanded that Dell ship him a copy of XP Pro. After many hours on the phone and many threats, they finally did.

Mac's use of Intel chips along with Microsoft's Vista debacle are what finally pushed me over to the Apple family after many years of using PC's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
XP Pro. It's the only version of Windows right now that I'd actually trust to use. I don't think bootcamp supports XP 64bit (it's not on the supported list on the Apple website).

Bootcamp may not support XP/64, but VMWare Fusion handles it just fine. XP pro x64, configured as a 24GB system using 1 processor and 512 MB RAM on my MBPro outperforms my 3 GHz HyperThreaded Pentium 4 w/ 1 GB Ram and 160 GB drive.

HTH,
P

Reaction score
as it has been said before stay away for vista. all that i have heard about it is bad this. my girlfrinds dad works at a company that downgraded all the comps to xp due to all the problems that they ran into with vista.

-jeremi

Reaction score
What about VMware fusion? Yes buy a copy of Windows XP but run those apps through Fusion?

Why do you need a native XP installation? I try not to reboot my computer. My last Dell lasted 2 weeks with a lot of reboots.

Nick.
For CAD work, I'd prefer to have a native install. Windows still runs faster natively through bootcamp than it does with vmware fusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
Afaik you can boot 64-bit WinXP on Macs, but the drivers that come with boot camp arent 64-bit compatible. So you wont have networking, sound, graphics drivers, etc. However this might change with Leopard, and if your software takes advantage of 64-bit CPUs it might be faster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.