• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Those who know, use Firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
http://isohunt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=104057
"Firefox users on isoHunt have now overtaken IE users, and I see the
trend continuing in more Firefox adoption. The less reliance on
standard non-compliant and malware-friendly IE, the better."

Firefox
Sep 25, 2007 - Oct 1, 2007 46.19%

Internet Explorer
Sep 25, 2007 - Oct 1, 2007 46.07%

Opera
Sep 25, 2007 - Oct 1, 2007 3.79%

Safari
Sep 25, 2007 - Oct 1, 2007 2.91%

It can be hypothesized that users of this type of site are very smart and concerned about security. That being true, these numbers tell how people feel about security implementations in their browsers!
Surely a huge population of this site is also just people looking for pirated media, and have no clue about security. I wonder how the numbers would be more affected if all of the users knew of the differences in IE and FF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I can't stand FF. In OS X, at least.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I like Firefox very much and it is the only browser I use at home on all of my machines, but I like it because of the way it handles RSS feeds and some of the plug-ins.

I found this site a few months back and found it very interesting as I was always under the assumption that FireFox was more secure than IE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Exactly, ISO-hunt is not a great indicator is it.

Anyway, Camino FTW!

I found this site a few months back and found it very interesting as I was always under the assumption that FireFox was more secure than IE.

Firefox is more secure. You don't really believe that MS fanboy drivel do you? I saw that in another thread on another discussion board about 6 months ago... many of the claims and stats are simply untrue.

OP
giulio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
isoHunt it a great indicator... for isoHunt. You can't use it as a blanketing global indicator. But you can make assumptions of the type of people who use it... of what they know about the net and their experience level... and then see what browser they prefer. I thought it was pretty interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
isoHunt it a great indicator... for isoHunt. You can use it as a blanketing global indicator. But you can make assumptions of the type of people who use it... of what they know about the net and their experience level... and then see what browser they prefer. I thought it was pretty interesting.

I just don't think you can extrapolate browser useage from a single site, especially one that is used for such a specific reason.

I don't think isoHunt necessarily indicates smarter or more security conscious web users either. I think that hypothesis could be shown to be flawed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Folks like me, who simultaneously run multiple platforms (Mac, Linux, Windows) probably prefer Firefox because it is the same across all three, and synchronizing bookmarks is simple too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner
I like Firefox mainly because of the running spell-check when filling out online forms (such as when writing this). Does the Mac version of Safari have this feature? I have the Windows beta version, and it doesn't seem to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like Firefox mainly because of the running spell-check when filling out online forms (such as when writing this). Does the Mac version of Safari have this feature? I have the Windows beta version, and it doesn't seem to.

It's an OS X feature, not a Firefox one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Firefox is nice, but I prefer Safari simply because it opens faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
i prefer fire fox cause i can type the name while it loads. it never loads fastter for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
if you use firefox for more than an hour it stops responding and you have to force quit it and open it back up again

il stick with safari u

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Actually no, it's definitely a firefox feature.
While it is a Firefox feature, when it comes to OS X and Safari, the spellcheck is provided by OS X's unified dictionary. That is, the same dictionary for Pages, textedit, safari and such. Windows doesn't have a dictionary, so firefox has to use its own dictionary.

Not sure whether OS X's firefox uses the system dictionary or it's own...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner
Nice to know the Mac version of Safari has spell-check. Also nice to know there's just one master dictionary on Mac OS X instead of multiple dictionaries that contradict each other.... Reason #497 I'm looking forward to getting a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While it is a Firefox feature, when it comes to OS X and Safari, the spellcheck is provided by OS X's unified dictionary. That is, the same dictionary for Pages, textedit, safari and such. Windows doesn't have a dictionary, so firefox has to use its own dictionary.

Not sure whether OS X's firefox uses the system dictionary or it's own...

Well that clears it up - OS X can be set to check spelling in any application, so I didn't realise that Firefox does it's own.

I just posted this from FF in Windows... and it does spell check, my bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Well not ANY application. Only Cocoa (OS X native) applications. Apps like Adobe suite, MS Office and such would need their own dictionary. I'm not sure how to differentiate between Cocoa and Carbon, but it's there.

I hope you guys know the dictionary anywhere trick: Hit Command + ctrl + D and hover over a word in any of the Cocoa apps. It will pop out a dictionary right there. Shortcut can of course be changed in Keyboard shortcuts prefs pane...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
if you use firefox for more than an hour it stops responding and you have to force quit it and open it back up again

il stick with safari u

I have never had this problem. However I have had safari lock up on me when I was trying it out when I first switched. I can leave firefox open for days at a time without any problems, I almost never quit firefox I just leave it running all the time. IMO Firefox is much superior browser to both IE and Safari.

OP
giulio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I meant was, "You can't use it [isoHunt] as a blanketing global indicator."

I just don't think you can extrapolate browser useage from a single site, especially one that is used for such a specific reason.

I don't think isoHunt necessarily indicates smarter or more security conscious web users either. I think that hypothesis could be shown to be flawed.

I must disagree.

Over 50% of isoHunt users are on Firefox. I've never seen a number so high anywhere. So you have to think, "what is it about isoHunt users that makes them choose Firefox?" Then you get into the demographics... the type of people who use the site...

Surely you can make good estimations about the type of people who visit a site. Technical sites will be used more by technical people. Most of the folks at mac-forums.com prefer iPod over Zune. Etc.

Yes bittorrent is becoming more mainstream daily. But for the most part it's pretty geeky.
And also for the most part, people go to isoHunt to steal SOMEthing - music, movies, software. In addition to legitimate downloads of course. These people know they are doing something wrong. They know the pending lawsuits, the risks, consequences. They know of spyware, malware, etc etc.

Smart, security conscious people, choosing firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
I have never had this problem. However I have had safari lock up on me when I was trying it out when I first switched. I can leave firefox open for days at a time without any problems, I almost never quit firefox I just leave it running all the time. IMO Firefox is much superior browser to both IE and Safari.
shoot
what do u think is wrong

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.