What does Repair Disk Permissions do

Reaction score
Could someone please explain to me what the Repair Disk Permissions function is for.

You find this function under Utilities and the Disk Utility

Thanks
Antony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Also, check out this article on why in general, you will rarely if ever need to Repair Permissions:

http://www.unsanity.org/archives/000410.php

Despite what you may hear from time, Repairing Permissions is not the cure for just about everything but world hunger!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Also, check out this article on why in general, you will rarely if ever need to Repair Permissions:

http://www.unsanity.org/archives/000410.php

Despite what you may hear from time, Repairing Permissions is not the cure for just about everything but world hunger!

:D You didn't read that whole thing did you? My puny level 42 nerd skill forced me to quit halfway through!;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
whew, i just made it through, I had been blindly repairing permissions thinking ti was the equivalent of defragging on windows. I have now been educated. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
:D You didn't read that whole thing did you? My puny level 42 nerd skill forced me to quit halfway through!;D

Yes I did! ...but I am a self professed computer geek. I enjoy this kind of stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.