• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Where to buy the best used apple computer?

Reaction score
I need to buy a 17'' Apple iMac G5 for my business. Where is the best place to buy a used one online? I read reviews for gainsaver.com and everyone says they are awful. I would also prefer one with a mouse/keyboard. Do you people know of gainsaver.com or anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I've never used them but their pricing is ridiculous for an item with a 30 day warranty. I know there are plenty of stores that sell used Macs but I only buy new. Macs hold their resale value so I can't justify buying an older model to save $200.

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah especially for a business, it sounds to me like at least having a real warranty would be essential. The Mac would be your principal work tool so you want something you can count on and that is reliable, no? For a business I too would, just like bry, buy new: with Apple Care on top of that!

OP
L
Reaction score
Yeah especially for a business, it sounds to me like at least having a real warranty would be essential. The Mac would be your principal work tool so you want something you can count on and that is reliable, no? For a business I too would, just like bry, buy new: with Apple Care on top of that!

well, i'm on a tight budget and can't afford new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mommy's boy iMac 20"
well, i'm on a tight budget and can't afford new.
well, I don't see how $200 is real savings... I would understand $500...
I'm on a tight budget too, hence I'm buying the base model. But, there is always a way to get it cheaper. For instance, in Canada, either Best Buy or Future Shop, occasionally have them $50 off. You just go to a competitor that has a Lowest Price Guarantee, and you can get 10% off that sale price. This way you can save $165, which in Canada covers taxes. But it is still a good deal, and it's exactly what I'm planning to do. And the saved money I'll use on Apple care plan from Apple store (I get a very good discount) and 1Gb of RAM.

Also, if you are not very good at fixing comp problems, like me, than I would definetely buy stuff brand new.

M

MacHeadCase

A solution would be to look into the refurbished section on Apple's Store webpage. Same warranty as a new Mac but some $ taken off the regular price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz aluminum unibody, 250 GB HD, 2GB RAM
Powermax has a decent deal here. It comes with a 90 day warranty. Maybe that will help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
any reason you need a G5 imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
i bought a laptop from gainsaver once, did not end well. it broke and they wouldn't replace it (even though it was in the 30 days) with something of equal power. it was a 14 inch 900mhz ibook g3 and they wanted me to take like a 700mhz 12 inch or less, and wouldn't repair it. i talked to the guy on the phone and he was very disrespectful and unfortunately was the owner/manager so i couldn't talk to anybody higher up.

imho, don't use gainsaver.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.