• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

imovie formatting probs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm having problems trying to convert my 15 min movie to quicktime for uploading to youtube. It contains still images at the start and finish with HD video in between. After compressing, all the still images fill up the square screen, while all the video is in widescreen with webpage data and other gobbledegook filling the remainder of the screen at the bottom of the playing video. For the life of me I cant work out how to standardise all the images and video into one nice seemless clip without all this other external data corrupting the file. Can anyone pls help me?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
It is not clear from your explanation where you are seeing "webpage data and other gobbledegook".

* Is it within the exported video? (play in quicktime before uploading to youtube to see if it is)

* Is it on the youtube page your video is on after uploading to youtube?

* Is it on a web page that you have created and embedded the code that youtube gives you after a successful video upload?

One thing to note is your video is 15 mins in length wherease youtube allows a maximum length of 10 mins

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Thanks Del. No I haven't made it as far as youtube yet. The unwanted data is present in what should be the blank black space below the exported video, seen when playing the clip in quicktime (no problems playing the clip in imovie). It seems to be picking it up during the compression process. I'm guessing it is doing this because of the different formats of the stills to the video.

I can edit the video under 10mins no problem for youtube, but I would like to keep the stills at the start and the end of the short film. Can I convert these stills to widescreen so its all the same format or shouldn't this be a problem?

Cheers.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Can I convert these stills to widescreen so its all the same format or shouldn't this be a problem?

Cheers.

You can convert if you wish but there shouldnt be a need, imovie will just leave a black border if your stills are smaller than the video project.

It's quite some time since i last used iMovie but what i do (in final cut express) is to size my still photos to the video size in photoshop BEFORE i import them in to the movie i'm editing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.