Windowz GURU switches to MacBook!

Reaction score
I have grown up with windows since I was 10 (im 20 now). So ten years for you math experts out there. I mastered all the media programs such as flash, photoshop, Fl studio, and Cool Edit pro. Also experiments with video editing such as adobe premiere. I've noticed my macbook pretty much has that kind of stuff pre-installed..

I'm sorry though, I hate garage band. I can't do anything with it and it won't even let me export the song to mp3. Mac is too strict about certain things. It wont let me edit each note manually either, it makes me record live using the keyboard as a guitar or some sh**. I'm just a little displeased with it thats all.

I feel like I have a lot to learn though.. I would like to get better at it because I do like OS X a lot. I switched because Re-Installing windows all the time gets old.. PLus I wanted to check out "Beryl" for PCLINUX and it worked great.

What are the best Mac-Replacements for the following programs..

Photoshop
FL Studio, Reason, Cool Edit Pro
Adobe Premiere
Flash
Adobe Photoshop

Should I just bootcamp Vista?

Please help! Thanks soo much!:eek:

Reaction score
All Adobe products are available for the Mac platform. There isn't anything that compares, IMO.

Apple offers various versions of Final Cut for video editing. It's excellent software.

Personally, I haven't found a need for Windows. If I needed it, I would probably use Bootcamp and XP Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16Ghz, White
To export as MP3 (or AAC) in Garageband, go to Share -> 'Export Song to Disk' and chose what you want.

To edit notes you have recorded, double click the take or click the funny scissors logo in the bottom left, 3rd along. You can then toggle between score view and piano roll with the buttons at the bottom. To change the Virtual Instrument of a track, double click anywhere in the general track name area, press the 'i' button on the bottom right, or press command + I.

If you have any more questions about Garageband, feel free to ask me.

OP
S
Reaction score
To export as MP3 (or AAC) in Garageband, go to Share -> 'Export Song to Disk' and chose what you want.

To edit notes you have recorded, double click the take or click the funny scissors logo in the bottom left, 3rd along. You can then toggle between score view and piano roll with the buttons at the bottom. To change the Virtual Instrument of a track, double click anywhere in the general track name area, press the 'i' button on the bottom right, or press command + I.

If you have any more questions about Garageband, feel free to ask me.

Okay great. I only have one question. How can you create notes from scratch with the mouse so your don't have to record "live" stuff? I'm not use to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
You should know that Garageband is just a toy really, not for serious musicians.

You need to check out Logic Studio 8, or Logic Studio 8 Express - they will blow you away.

Reason 3 is available for the Mac, FL Studio isn't, which is a shame because I used to use it myself on Windows.

Don't bootcamp Vista. Use XP under VM or Parallels for Windows stuff (uness you're gaming, then Bootcamp under XP). Vista just has too many niggles to be stable under Bootcamp, from what I can gather.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
You should know that Garageband is just a toy really, not for serious musicians.

My brother in law is a 'serious musician' and uses his Macbook (which I and my wife convinced him to buy) with Garageband and cuts a CD of his own performances about once a month. I've listened to some of his work, and it's indistinguishable from that which might be produced with the 'pro tools'.

Granted, it might be because he's actually got talent and knows a little bit about mics and mixers to use with his instruments, but between his abilities & talent and a Garageband equipped Macbook, he makes, well, beautiful music.

Dude went full on Mac, with Apple TV and everything, and he's loving it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
My brother in law is a 'serious musician' and uses his Macbook (which I and my wife convinced him to buy) with Garageband and cuts a CD of his own performances about once a month. I've listened to some of his work, and it's indistinguishable from that which might be produced with the 'pro tools'.

Granted, it might be because he's actually got talent and knows a little bit about mics and mixers to use with his instruments, but between his abilities & talent and a Garageband equipped Macbook, he makes, well, beautiful music.

Dude went full on Mac, with Apple TV and everything, and he's loving it.

OK, well if the sound is being mixed before it's being recorded, then that's different. So he's recording live performances, and essentially uses the MacBook as a 'recording' device; the actual software will make no difference.

However if you're recording 'internally' using soft intruments, or need to do your mixing within the software, Garageband will quickly become limiting. Also, if you're going to master multi-track recordings, doing mix-downs to stereo, Garage band won't cut it.

Until you see what can be done in something like Logic, you won't miss it.

Reaction score
Hah, Windoz Guru :D How about those of us who have been in the Bill Gates camp pre-windows, like DOS 1.0? It was 27 years for me when I switched to the Mac. You didnt have to write batch files, or know all kinds of arcane DOS commands. :D

Nah, seriously, welcome to the Mac world. You will love it. I refuse to put any MS software on mine, why would I want to. I am quite sure that for the stuff you want to do, there is plenty of quality products available for Mac.

I have grown up with windows since I was 10 (im 20 now). So ten years for you math experts out there. I mastered all the media programs such as flash, photoshop, Fl studio, and Cool Edit pro. Also experiments with video editing such as adobe premiere. I've noticed my macbook pretty much has that kind of stuff pre-installed..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Naft, batch files, dos and such only ended 10-12 years ago. I have to ask though. Are you going to post a reply to every person who comes here and says they are a life long PC user or that they have used a PC for X number of years and tell them how they are all newbs because you used a PC for 27 years? Seriously man.... There are 2 or 3 of them on this first page of the forum alone where you did it.

It is just in bad taste and makes you look like you think you are somehow better then others. Try to make some helpfull posts actually answering peoples questions with this fount of knowledge you have rather then belittling others.

P.S. Don't think I don't notice the HUGE number of help requests you post here. With your 27 years of PC use I would have thought you would be able to figure a couple of those things out for yourself :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Hah, Windoz Guru :D How about those of us who have been in the Bill Gates camp pre-windows, like DOS 1.0? It was 27 years for me when I switched to the Mac. You didnt have to write batch files, or know all kinds of arcane DOS commands. :D

Nah, seriously, welcome to the Mac world. You will love it. I refuse to put any MS software on mine, why would I want to. I am quite sure that for the stuff you want to do, there is plenty of quality products available for Mac.

For the record, I was typing in DOS commands to run flight simulator when I was ten...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
27 years ago I was using computers by writing BASIC because neither Windows, Mac OS, or even DOS was around yet. Big deal. Most of what I did back then is completely irrelevant to me now.
I first used a Mac in 1985, a year after their introduction. I first used Windows in 1991. Whoopdie doo.
Do I have tons of experience with Apple computers (mainly Macs)? Yep, 20+ years worth.
I have seen lots of people "switch" (for lack of a better term... I HATE the term switcher) in that time. I have seen mistakes they make that only serve to make learning the new OS more difficult. I try to use my experience to help them and ease the transition for them. When I make a suggestion or comment to a new Mac user, it isn't a flippant or terse statement... even if it comes off that way. I know what things will work for people and make things easier. More importantly, I know what things and behaviors won't make things easy for a new Mac user.
It is my educated and experienced opinion. And while it may just be my opinion... it is an opinion based on what I have seen work and make things easier for people over the past two decades. (Which is almost as long or longer than the average age of this forum's members. ;) )

Does that make me cooler or better than the next guy?
Nope.
So what does this make me?

Old. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
27 years ago I was using computers by writing BASIC because neither Windows, Mac OS, or even DOS was around yet. Big deal. Most of what I did back then is completely irrelevant to me now.
I first used a Mac in 1985, a year after their introduction. I first used Windows in 1991. Whoopdie doo.
Do I have tons of experience with Apple computers (mainly Macs)? Yep, 20+ years worth.
I have seen lots of people "switch" (for lack of a better term... I HATE the term switcher) in that time. I have seen mistakes they make that only serve to make learning the new OS more difficult. I try to use my experience to help them and ease the transition for them. When I make a suggestion or comment to a new Mac user, it isn't a flippant or terse statement... even if it comes off that way. I know what things will work for people and make things easier. More importantly, I know what things and behaviors won't make things easy for a new Mac user.
It is my educated and experienced opinion. And while it may just be my opinion... it is an opinion based on what I have seen work and make things easier for people over the past two decades. (Which is almost as long or longer than the average age of this forum's members. ;) )

Does that make me cooler or better than the next guy?
Nope.
So what does this make me?

Old. :)

I remember playing QBasic games on government computers when I was about 6.

Reaction score
You are right, it was in bad taste, will not do so again. I do very much appreciate these forums.

It is just in bad taste and makes you look like you think you are somehow better then others. Try to make some helpfull posts actually answering peoples questions with this fount of knowledge you have rather then belittling others.

P.S. Don't think I don't notice the HUGE number of help requests you post here. With your 27 years of PC use I would have thought you would be able to figure a couple of those things out for yourself :)[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16Ghz, White
OK, well if the sound is being mixed before it's being recorded, then that's different. So he's recording live performances, and essentially uses the MacBook as a 'recording' device; the actual software will make no difference.

However if you're recording 'internally' using soft intruments, or need to do your mixing within the software, Garageband will quickly become limiting. Also, if you're going to master multi-track recordings, doing mix-downs to stereo, Garage band won't cut it.

Until you see what can be done in something like Logic, you won't miss it.

This is true. Garageband is great for buggering about it, and a good way into computer-based recording.

I'm ordering Logic 8 for my MB when I get paid. (tomorrow!) Really can't wait. I've been messing around with my friend's copy and it's incredible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.