which mac is best for 3d, photoshop, and CAD

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm currently using a PC for Autodesk Revit and AutoCAD and ArchiCAD BIM. When roughly finished, I've been sending the plans and images into a G5 and then using photoshop, illustrator, indesign, etc. for finishing and post-rendering work. I am leaning toward switching out my G5 and PC for one Intel-based Mac Pro, but am unsure of what options would be best. I would like to have all of the above programs open at the same time, and also Safari pages. I run two 20"s on my G5, and would like to retain this setup. What are the drawbacks to switching from PC to MAC mode in the Mac pro, are there potential virus issues, what video card(s), processor, memory would be best?
Thanks for the advice!

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm currently using a PC for Autodesk Revit and AutoCAD and ArchiCAD BIM. When roughly finished, I've been sending the plans and images into a G5 and then using photoshop, illustrator, indesign, etc. for finishing and post-rendering work. I am leaning toward switching out my G5 and PC for one Intel-based Mac Pro, but am unsure of what options would be best. I would like to have all of the above programs open at the same time, and also Safari pages. I run two 20"s on my G5, and would like to retain this setup. What are the drawbacks to switching from PC to MAC mode in the Mac pro, are there potential virus issues, what video card(s), processor, memory would be best?
Thanks for the advice!
Hello,
I think you will not have any problems switching to a MacPro Intel based. I have used a PC, a first gen and third generation G5, iMac and currently using MacPro 2.66Ghz. I don't do 3D but I do heavy graphics and the MacPro holds out pretty well compared to the PowerPc G5s. It's very quiet and fast and has cooler processors. What G5 are you currently using?

One important note, with the default ram of the MacPro at 1.0Ghz, it wont be enough specially if you plan to use two OS, a windows and Tiger OSX. It will run slow because the two OS will consume and needs almost the 1.0Ghz ram. It should be at least 2Ghz or 3Ghz is better. Stick to 3Ghz since photoshop, Studio Max are memory eaters. In using windows, best to use Boot Camp and avoid Parallels because with Parallels, it provides inadequate videocard needs.

For viruses, in using windows, better install a virus scanner. Your partitioned hard drive cannot "see" your other Mac Tiger OS drive but the Mac OS can see your windows partitioned drive. Just exercise caution with spywares and viruses with Windows.

I think the 2.66ghz MacPro is good enough for your needs as long as you have adequate ram.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.