Feedback on iMAC specs for Photoshop CS3 Extended

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 " MacBook - White 2.0 1 Gig 80HHD
I need a bit of feedback here - I have a friend who wants an iMAC for viewing images with Photoshop and for simple web browsing and etc. Now he is nto goin to really be doing any editing but just mere viewing. The images would potentially be in 2D/3D type format so I figured he'd be better off with Photoshop CS3 Extended. But the question is would 2 gig suffice for this or should he bump it up to 4 gig. If he can do the work with 2 gig then that would be great - then later we can probably always order the memory elsewhere cheaper than the 700 bucks that Apple asks for their memory.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Billy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
uh...he could view images in photoshop with a 5 year old pc for $100 and save himself a lot of money. Why does he want an iMac and photoshop just to view photos if there's no editing? 2gb more than suffices for heavy editing, so viewing won't even tax that.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
uh...he could view images in photoshop with a 5 year old pc for $100 and save himself a lot of money. Why does he want an iMac and photoshop just to view photos if there's no editing? 2gb more than suffices for heavy editing, so viewing won't even tax that.

yep, here's a brand new e-machines that will do that for $280

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Actually let me be a bit more clearer and more in depth. He is a Neurologist. So in otherwords he will be looking at pictures of brains and images of brains and etc. *And he hates Windows*

Does this help? :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
On that note - would recommend the 24" for screen real estate.
No need to go with the upgraded processor for his use.
And yes, inho, the 2GB would be plenty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
2gb is more than plenty... but if he's just viewing images, why bother with Photoshop? I guess for the 3D feature... there's got to be something cheaper though.

I wonder what file format these 3D brains are in... and if Photoshop can even handle it...

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He was very specific that he wanted to use Photoshop. So I saw that the Extended offered the 2D and 3D formats. So I just wantedto make sure that 2 gig would be enough (I figured it would) just didnt want to see him spend an extra 2 gig for 700 bucks for something he doesnt really need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Actually let me be a bit more clearer and more in depth. He is a Neurologist. So in otherwords he will be looking at pictures of brains and images of brains and etc. *And he hates Windows*

Does this help? :D
Honestly, it really doesn't change things. If he only wants to view images, then he can use any computer for that.

If these images are 3D, then there is likely some proprietary app for viewing them already. The new PS Extended can handle and view files for 3DS, OBJ, U3D, KMZ, and COLLADA. If the file isn't one of those types, then PS is probably overkill

Reaction score
He's a Neurologist. I'm sure he can come up with the cash for Photoshop. Heck, he'll probably just bill the hospital. :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.