1.1.1 Update: Ringtones nullified?

Reaction score
Hi all, first post for a longtime lurker.

I just updated my 8gb iphone from 1.02 to 1.1.1 and found that all of my custom ringtones that I loaded by using the 7.40 itunes hack (m4r rename technique) no longer produce any sound. The files are there on my iphone but they do not put out any acoustics (just vibration).

Anyone come across the same issue? Anyone with suggestions? I'm quite annoyed by Apple's strangehold on the user for things such as ringtones. Just greed...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The 1.1.1 update pretty much broke every hack out there. Though I think the iTunes hack was nullified by an iTunes update

OP
F
Reaction score
ahhh, another satisfying update by apple. I'm glad they didn't address issues like a2dp (which is on antiquated phones from several generations ago) and OS stability while multitasking (safari/ipod etc...) but instead focused on cracking down on people creating their own ringtones in the name of profit.

This corporate hobgobbling is of the worst kind because Apple rose to prominence due to the public's disdain of Microsoft's malfeasance.

They are becomming the very thing they oppossed.

In regards to the ringtones, I'm fidgiting with this:
http://cybersurge.org/2007/10/02/custom-ringtones-with-iphone-firmware-version-111/

Although the directions are tailored to a mac, they very well might work on PC based systems by working around the necessity of the ringtone program. I'll keep it posted on whether or not I can get this quasi solution to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I think you'll find Apples hands are largely tied by ATT on many issues with the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ahhh, another satisfying update by apple. I'm glad they didn't address issues like a2dp (which is on antiquated phones from several generations ago) and OS stability while multitasking (safari/ipod etc...) but instead focused on cracking down on people creating their own ringtones in the name of profit.

This corporate hobgobbling is of the worst kind because Apple rose to prominence due to the public's disdain of Microsoft's malfeasance.

They are becomming the very thing they oppossed.

Melodramatic much?

Like knightlie said, Apple is bound by its agreement with AT&T. Also, that update was more than just a simple lock-down. There were new features added (iTunes Music Store, pop-up iPod functions, etc.) and several fixes were made to plug holes and increase stability of Safari.

Don't get too worked up about this. According to tuaw and several other sources, the new firmware has been jailbroken and third-party apps installed. It will only be a matter of time before all the fun hacks of 1.02 are available on 1.1.1, and on the iPod touch as well.

OP
F
Reaction score
I think you'll find Apples hands are largely tied by ATT on many issues with the iPhone.

Why is that? Apple had complete leverage while negotiating an exclusive contract to any network. They could have demanded anything they liked, they could have pushed for anything they like. Why would AT&T care about Apple buying ringtones? They get a small cut? I think Apple would be more happy about it, as they fill their coffers with literaly billions of dollars for ringtones.

It's irresponsible by a company and if you overlook it, you're just buying into their BS. The fact that we have to struggle with Apple for every little thing and it will be a constant back and forth, with the consumer eventually being the recepient of a brick or a lawsuit, doesn't bode too well for me.

I don't think I'm being melodramatic at all. I paid good money for a phone not for a headache.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The unlocking thing has to do with contractual obligations to AT&T. The ringtones thing has to do with the music labels.

Apple was originally intending to let you use its ringtone software for free, you just had to buy the song from the iTunes Music Store. So you would have essentially only paid $1.00 for a ringtone, which is a great deal. However, the labels got words of this and came down hard on Apple. So that's why Apple is keeping you from saving that extra dollar.

Apple may have significant leverage with AT&T and the labels, but not THAT much leverage.

And you don't have to give yourself a headache. Just downgrade to 1.02 and then you can create and transfer ringtones for free. You don't HAVE to upgrade to 1.1.1. I didn't, and I'm enjoying my own custom made ringtones and third-party apps.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your logic is confounding. By that same token, Apple could have locked all songs not bought from itunes from usage on the iphone. The reason they didn't? It spells economic disaster for them because nobody would buy a device that was so constrictive.

Ringtones? They hope that people are naieve enough for them to stuff their coffers and keep their music industry cronies happy so their itunes platform is nice and profitable.

Anyway you analyze it, it's a profit hording move.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, the reason they didn't is because there are anti-competitive laws out there that prevents Apple from forcing all of its customers to only use music bought from the iTunes Music Store. And then there's also that little thing called bad business practice, though it looks like you covered that already.

You're blaming Apple for price gouging? Are you serious? After that $1.00 you spend on a single song is split between the various groups, Apple makes pennies, and I'm probably being generous. Apple makes money from high margin iPod sales, not from the iTunes Store. That's essentially there as a driving force to increase iPod sales.

Don't blame Apple for succumbing to the greedy labels, blame the DMCA that lets the labels essentially do as they please.

Though I guess it's just easy to blame Apple for everything since that's the company who seems to be preventing you from doing as you please. Maybe you should do a little fact checking before making yourself look foolish with false accusations.

And of course, if you don't like Apple's business practices, there's nothing forcing you to buy its products. If you don't like the limitations on the iPhone, then go and buy a competing device that allows you to do what you want.

OP
F
Reaction score
I very well may switch to a k850 or an n95 if I find its utility function to my needs. I never have brand allegiance I only strive to maximize the utility of my dollar.

What bothers me about Apple is how they sought out to fix the "hack" that was present in 1.02 with the 1.1.1 update. If they wished to play neutral, they could have forgot about the file extension hack swap which I bet a marginal percent of consumers actually use. And instead of addressing issues such as A2dp, extra applications, stability, call vol/speaker vol (I don't really notice much via the upgrade), they choose to cripple custom ringtones.

I'll stop making my stand here, but I think this is a word to the wise: you can never trust a corporation, because they only care for their shareholders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll stop making my stand here, but I think this is a word to the wise: you can never trust a corporation, because they only care for their shareholders.

Well, duh. What made you think Apple was any different?

And I should mention that this wasn't a significant update. That's planned for roughly around the same time as the launch of Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Why is that? Apple had complete leverage while negotiating an exclusive contract to any network. They could have demanded anything they liked, they could have pushed for anything they like.

Nope. I suspect the phone companies had much more power than Apple, because Apple NEEDS them to make their phone work. Many UK companies turned down the iPhone because of Apple's demands - Apple certainly didn't have much pushing power there.

Why would AT&T care about Apple buying ringtones? They get a small cut? I think Apple would be more happy about it, as they fill their coffers with literaly billions of dollars for ringtones.

ATT may indeed get a cut from any ringtone purchased over their network, it's possible.

It's irresponsible by a company and if you overlook it, you're just buying into their BS. The fact that we have to struggle with Apple for every little thing and it will be a constant back and forth, with the consumer eventually being the recepient of a brick or a lawsuit, doesn't bode too well for me.

Despite what you say here...

I don't think I'm being melodramatic at all.

..you certainly sound it. What "struggle with Apple?" Did you have to negotiate an obstacle course before they let you have your phone? Is the user guide in Latin? You buy a phone, activate it (like all the others) and make calls.

I paid good money for a phone not for a headache.

I don't see the problem. As long as you don't break the ELUA and mess around with your phones firmware - and you did sign a contract saying you wouldn't do that, remember? - then your phone will work fine. If you find ringtones too expensive or unnacceptable then don't buy them, they're a waste of money anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.