My year of the Mac pt2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Looking at My earlier post I realized that it was really just a list of the many apps I downloaded and used this last year.without much advice

Some tips (Rather whisky induced but no matter)

I found out from the books I read that you could drag your Apps folder to the Right side of the dock. When you click and hold you get a windows type list of your programs did it just to see what it was like and decided to keep it that way.

One thing a beginner must never do is Change your home folder name. I did or at least tried moving it... Not a thing to do.Apple has a wait for this ...40 step way to do the short name change..40 ...right I’m a geek....Gee! thanks Apple. Alternatively you can take your heart in your mouth and try Change short name by Dan frakes..... It a lot easier. So if you are tired of your home folder called “Sugar plum” you can use it ...just read the Instructions on the box first ...as it where

Oh! my word things just bounce in the dock......Repair and verify Permissions (I have to do this with the wife now and again). If that doesn’t work try to trash or move the plist elsewhere.

Updates seem to be a stumbling block. I run the all the maintenance scripts via main menu and then the Verify permissions in disk utility make sure I have nothing hanging out from a port and then update after which I verify again... works for me

and finally

I see a lot of posts on the forum which can be solved by a forum search. This forum is a gold mine for beginners USE the Search function..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.