Recent Switcher with a Question...

Reaction score
First of all, let me just say that the switch was a long time coming... I was a macophile long before I got my new Macbook and was totally all over the ones at my university. I was also constantly jealous of the worry-free browsing/downloading (no viruses, right?) and user friendly interface (I just found out about the simplicity of uninstalling--although my PC mind tells me that I should still worry about whether that stuff is still around...).

With that said, my question is about the OS, specifically, upgrading the OS. The one complaint that I heard from long-time Mac users is the upgrading requiring users to constantly buy the new OSs. Is this really a problem that I should worry about? How much does it cost?

Wow...that quickly turned into more than one question...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 2.4GHz Core2Duo MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM
The price of Leopard is going to be $129 for one computer or $199 for a Family Pack of up to 5. Compare how reasonable these are to the hideous prices (and number of versions) of Vista.

I'm a switcher celebrating her first year on Mac's and I am looking forward to the new OS. Tiger was released in April 2005 (correct me if I am wrong) and so it's not like your paying all the time.

The price is extremely reasonable in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 " MacBook - White 2.0 1 Gig 80HHD
It is definitely cheaper OS wise - as opposed to Microsoft! You wont regret it! And at least you dont have to upgrade your hardware to upgrade your OS!

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
The one complaint that I heard from long-time Mac users is the upgrading requiring users to constantly buy the new OSs. Is this really a problem that I should worry about? How much does it cost?

You aren't "required" to upgrade but we all do anyway.

I've only ever purchased two copies of OS X, Panther and Tiger. Both family packs which give 5 licenses at £129 a pop.

So that's 5 machines costing me £258, which is less than a single copy of XP Pro Retail or Vista Ultimate.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MB white, upgraded to 2gb RAM, 2 apple HD failures - now WD 250gb Scorpio Black
hmm that has me wondering if they will have the new OS discounted at the campus bookstore. I thinkI paid around $50 total for office 2004 mac and office 2007 pc. the apple education store was selling the office at $129 IIRC correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MB white, upgraded to 2gb RAM, 2 apple HD failures - now WD 250gb Scorpio Black
recent switcher greetings

Not a "crazy computer" guy, but after years of having a PC because of work instead of the macs I grew up on I switched back.

I guess I'm a new switcher though because os/x bears about as much resemblance to system 7 as windows does. :)

So far I have been using my Macbook for 2 days, and I'm starting to get the hang of not having a "start" button and program list, and not having a "my computer".
Was finally able to set up a network instead of just wireless net access on the Mac despite it being from the family XP making all the networks setup .exes useless.

Is there someway I can import my bookmarks from my xp's safari 3 browser without having them clutter the **** out of the unit by having them hidden away enmasse in 'imported' bookmarks? I will do more research on this.

my only issue, and I am sure this is probably because I DON'T KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT XP EITHER:Oops: but I c'nna not seem to locate my printer from the mac. I've followed the instructions i've found to the letter adn it never shows up.
It is a lexmark z600 connected via USB to the emachines desktop. this same xp machine is the one conencted to my belkin wireless g router that runs the wireless and network.

I attempted the daemon? instructions I found in one of the posts on these forums, and that killed it from the xp machine too.

not a super critical issue as I can still take the MB over and plug the printer in via usb, but I would love to be able to print witout carrying the MB around the house and leaving it sitting in a vulnerable spot.
Anyone has anyideas, feel free to pm me so I don't clutter the boards with my ignorances of the computing world.

thanks for the greatresource, and glad to be back...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
recent switcher greetings

sorry dup

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you all for your comments. They were a lot of help. I like the sound of this education discount thing for the next Mac Office...:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Hi-Def/2GB RAM/250GB HD // iPhone 3Gs 16GB // iPod Classic 80GB
My brother's family has an iMac.

I just got a MacBook Pro.

I'm getting the Family Pack for US$200. As opposed to what it would cost to upgrade us both to Vista, which would be bout US$300 to US$400.

I call that a win.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The one complaint that I heard from long-time Mac users is the upgrading requiring users to constantly buy the new OSs. Is this really a problem that I should worry about?
Two things are behind this. The very long time Mac users remember when Apple didn't charge for OS upgrades. A very long time ago.

The other reason for that complaint is because the first few versions of OS X came out about once a year, so people felt they were paying too frequently.

Anyway, a few years ago Apple announced that new versions would take 1.5-2 years to release so the upgrade costs to you will be spread out over a longer period. Leopard was delayed longer because of the iPhone.

If you don't need the new features, don't rush into upgrading. Leopard is suppose to be released this month, if Apple keeps its word.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.