My year of the Mac (Long)ish

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Switching to Mac One year on

It’s been nearly a year since I pushed the on button of my first Mac I’d like to share the experience with you.

Well about a year ago I wandered into my newly opened local Mac re-seller. I immediately fell in love (If thats the right word) with a White iMac 20” Intel Mac .It didn’t take long to realize that this was going to cost me. I had always thought that Macs were over priced. However when I found out the price I was surprised. That really got the thought processes going. I did a lot of research before finally deciding if and what to buy .I found out that mostly all the things I use a PC for I can use a Mac for too. So I took my wallet along to the Apple re-seller and opened it up.

I can’t remember how long I waited. I think it was two weeks until I got the call to come and pick up my first mac. I duly took my white Box home with me and just looked at it there on the desk. I even took pictures (Never done that with a PC) Well the unpacking went well and I pressed the on button The rest is History to me.

Downloading the updates and connecting to my Existing Network was really easy and matter of just entering my WPA key And the voyage of Exploration began.

To kill the time waiting for the iMac to arrive I had purchased a book Switching to Mac tiger edition I’m glad I did because it became a sort of Bible for me I can heartily recommend it. (There will no doubt be a Leopard edition too v.-soon).

Another great place to find out about your Mac is Listening to Podcasts.
There are some really great ones out there

The Mac Attack
Mac Break weekly
Mac Tips Daily
The Mac Round table
are the ones I like but there are many more

What Apps have I on my mac now one year after ? Here is a list of what I have in Alphabetical order (Almost)

Adobe reader PDF reader
AppZapper Uninstaller App
Audio Hijack Records audio from internet streams and other sources
Audiobookbuilder Used to build my own audiobooks and send to iTunes
CandyBar Transform your iCons. Great fun
Colloquy IRC App
Deeper A personalization utility for Mac OS X 10.4
Delicious Library Browse and share all your books games ect.
Flip4Mac Plug-in for Quick time You’ll need this trust me
Google earth Atlas and Maps on the net and a whole lot more
iPhoto Diet Duplicate killer for iPhoto
iPodNotes Make notes on your mac and upload to your iPod
iSmarttrain Training Logbook with Pulse monitor compatibility
iWorks 08 Apples Office killer
Jumpcut Clipboard app
Mactracker Detailed info of every Mac ever made
MainMenu Maintenance app
mimiFoto Change those icon pictures for mail ,iPhoto and Preview
NeoOffice Free MS office killer
Opera My 2nd choice web browser
PodTube Rip direct from Youtube to iTunes
Pixelmator The New Photo editor well worth a look
Quicksilver The Do it all App for Mac
Realplayer I use it mainly for the BBC sight I visit
Skitch Screen capture App (Invite only at present)
Skype My iChat
Spamsieve The spam filter I love best
Spanningsync Sync youriCal with google calenders and all your other macs
Stuffit Unzip your files One of the first apps you’ll need
Tinkertool Personalize your Mac
Inquisitor X Spotlight type plug-in for Safari

On the whole I’ve enjoyed my Mac year and here’s to many more .....Leopards coming soon. where’s that wallet of mine

Not to mention this very forum would be very remiss of me so Cheers lads and lassies who have helped me with advice and tips along the way.And thank-you to the admin and moderators for making this place a fun place to be

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Gettin close to the end of my first year - have to agree kilted, it's been a fun ride.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz aluminum unibody, 250 GB HD, 2GB RAM
I felt the same way at the close of my first year. ^_^ My primary forum then was the AtAT forum. I miss those days. . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Cool review, Kilted!

(Made me realize what a minimalist I am ~ I have only MainMenu, Colloquy and Flip4Mac.)

OP
Kilted1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Cool review, Kilted!

(Made me realize what a minimalist I am ~ I have only MainMenu, Colloquy and Flip4Mac.)

I have to fill the 500gig I have with somthing ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Great post Kilted1 :D Ive managed to find some good bits of software from your list which im now using!

~~ TS ~~

OP
Kilted1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
im switched close to a year ago too. glad you listed those apps. I just downloaded like 5 of them, thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.