What Complications would i have if i used an american mac in the UK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I use a US-MacBook all the time, I have no problems with it.

OP
W
Reaction score
If i had an american mac, would british software work with it?

Basically i want to know is, im considering getting a macbook shipped over which still is about £400 cheaper, but what i need to know is will a UK Digital SLR work, or will i need to just use a memory card reader, and if i bought a video camera, would it have to be an american one or would a UK one work fine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
yes everything will work fine. the yanks and the british both have and use exactly the same software and computer hardware. the only thing will differ for the macbook is the power adapter and possibly the regional settings but they can both be changed.

hence.. if they are both the same then hardware from the two different locations will also work the same.

Reaction score
I live in South Africa, and have the same question, can I buy a macbook in the usa and will it work here.

Can the power adaptor take 220-240 volts and 50hz cycle

Thanks

Reaction score
The keyboard will be different and i dont think the warranty will be valid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
The warranty will be valid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I live in South Africa, and have the same question, can I buy a macbook in the usa and will it work here.

Can the power adaptor take 220-240 volts and 50hz cycle

Thanks

That's what we use in the UK (methinks), so it should be fine. You'll just need the right adapter to fit the outlet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
One thing, get a new mains lead rather than using a plug adaptor, the one I got is pretty naff, the US plug doesn't fit snugly at all and flaps around, causing arcing inside the adaptor and may bring about firey death. You want one of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=1168&doy=5m10

Pity it's not Apple white though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
I would be very careful when doing fantasy football on your Mac in the UK. Instead of Peyton Manning and Ladanian Tomlinson you will start getting players named "Niki Butt" and "Shaola Ameobi" on your team.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I use a Mac bought in the USA here in Brazil. Other than the US keyboard which is fiddly to use for writing Portuguese (ie accents), it all works fine.

I have a TV tuner card that I bought in the UK as well. That works OK too. I guess if you buy a used one you might find the Superdrive has used its 5 lives and gives you some problems playing region 2 DVDs, but I'm pretty sure there are ways to solve that.

Computers are pretty universal nowadays, I doubt you'll have any problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.