• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why aren't software purchases availible for download?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I know some software can be purchased online and downloaded, but it doesn't seem to be used mainstream. It just seems easier to allow consumers to download a disc image and burn it to a disk or store in on a hard drive than to use traditional means of making a disc, burning the software, packaging, shipping and the additional costs of distribution channels.

Maybe bandwidth is an issue, but it doesn't seem like it would cost any more than traditional means. Plus, i bet sales would go up from lower cost and impulse buys. It just seems like a no-brainer to me, but does anybody know why companies like Apple, who could save a lot, especially considering their free shipping, don't do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
My guess is there are probably multiple reasons... 1. The perceived value. For example have you ever seen the boxes the PC games are packaged in? They are ALL AIR... it's a big pretty box with a tiny thin CD-ROM in it. The reason?... CD-ROM's that are not packaged like this simply do not sell. It's truly amazing. The bulky boxed versions of CD-Roms will out sell the exact same product that is in a tiny CD Sleeve or jewell case 10 to 1 or more.... even though it is the EXACT SAME item..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Plus, i bet sales would go up
As would piracy... since this would cut out a very important step for most software pirates. If software was sold in that manner, then nobody would have to worry about converting or extracting the software from a disc first. They could simply upload the software as soon as they bought it.

Yes, it makes a legal purchase much easier... but if that also makes the illegal distribution easier, then it isn't as wise of a choice as it may seem.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
As would piracy... since this would cut out a very important step for most software pirates. If software was sold in that manner, then nobody would have to worry about converting or extracting the software from a disc first. They could simply upload the software as soon as they bought it.

Yes, it makes a legal purchase much easier... but if that also makes the illegal distribution easier, then it isn't as wise of a choice as it may seem.

I don't know, I think piracy can be avoided. Many of the great little programs for my Mac I have purchased and downloaded, which had to be activated with a purchased code. Besides, software piracy is just like music piracy, if someone really wants to do it, it'll happen no matter what you do to try to stop it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...

This is a good point. Anytime you make it easier to do something, you increase the number of people that are willing to do it. However, I'm not sure that it's as simple as that when discussing software piracy.

It's a lot easier and likely faster to download an application than it is to get in the car, drive to the store, buy it, then drive back, unwrap it and install it. And to a lot of people, that convenience is worth something. I'd be curious to see if any decent studies have been done on the effect of things like the iTunes store on music piracy, because I would not be at all surprised to find that the effect (be it an increase or decrease in piracy) would be similar for software. I suspect that there are a lot of people out there that engage in software piracy to one degree or another that would be more inclined to legally obtain their applications if they could purchase them as easily as they can download them off their p2p app of choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
It would also benefit people in rural areas that are far fram a place to buy software apple or not. Plus it would eliminate all problems with "lost" or "delayed" packages that ups or fedex messes up all to regularly!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.