iTunes shuffling

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
How does iTunes shuffle their songs? Because i have about 376 songs in my collection, i know not a lot, but it seems like i hear somethings more than once, and some i have never heard. Is it all random, or is there something internally that i don't know about it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
Picked this off wiki

"The "randomness" of the shuffle algorithm can be biased for or against playing multiple tracks from the same album or artists in sequence (a feature introduced in iTunes 5.0). Party Shuffle can also be biased towards selecting tracks with a higher star rating. With this bias enabled, each star rating increases the preference for that particular song about 4% over that of a one-star-less rated song. Unrated songs are the least likely to be played. Inter-star ratings are stored by iTunes, but only affect this feature in the range of zero to one star"

Don't Know if this helps just some info

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, yea i don't really star any of my songs, i don't feel it's needed. Do you know if there is a way to turn off this bias?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Unless you've explicitly set the bias for Shuffle mode, there's no way to change the way iTunes chooses your songs.

Much has been written about the "randomness" of the way iTunes and iPods select the songs you hear. You'll need a mathematician to understand some of the more elaborate discussions. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard
Go to iTunes preferences, select "playback," go down to "smart shuffle" and move the clicker to "less likely."

ket0u1.png

2v1702x.png

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright thanks guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.