Should I wait?

Reaction score
Hi, i have a 12' powerbook g4 that is beat down. like disgusting, cracked screen, dents, battery dosnt work, blah. it recently took some hard falls and tears were shed. I'm looking into buying a refurbished macbook, but i didnt know if there is a new line of notebooks coming out soon or something. So should i just go ahead and get a macbook? Or should I wait it out with my craptacular powerbook i have now. it seems like mac releases new computers in the spring a lot. but i dunno. i'm also not made out of money i am fairly poor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Wait until after Leopard comes out (late October) so you don't have to spend the extra $$ to upgrade to the new OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
At this point, I would wait. Leopard is due out before the end of the month. Might as well hang on a little longer before you buy, and get a machine with Leopard pre installed. Saves dollars and effort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The most you'll have to wait is 4 weeks for Leopard and any potential Macbook updates. So unless you absolutely, positively need to buy a new Mac right now, I would advise you to wait.

Reaction score
Just curious, but why would you go by this guide? It seems like a cool site if there wasn't a major upgrade on the horizon.

Especially since I've decided to wait for Leopard to get an iMac. I've been a PC person for 15+ years and know very little about Macs. It seems to me that it makes sense to wait and just have one learning curve instead of two. (First OS X, then Leopard). Obviously, they'll be extremely similar, but I'd rather just hang on, as there are some definite changes.

Am I missing something? Thanks, Jennifer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Umm, Leopard IS OS X. It's just the next version. If you learn Tiger, it's not going to be a huge learning curve when upgrading to Leopard.

That guide actually looks pretty interesting. From the looks of it, the Macbook is due for an update real soon.

Reaction score
Best I think to wait for Leopard and not have to incur any unneccessary costs. Glad that you'll get to upgrade your Macbook - hopefully. I'm getting a 20" iMac, so I'd just as soon wait 2-3 weeks. Can't wait!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz aluminum unibody, 250 GB HD, 2GB RAM
I got my MacBook 3 weeks ago. I decided not to wait for Leopard for several reasons: 1) no solid release date; everything was/is speculation except for the vague promise of "sometime in October." 2) My iBook died 3)My desktop is ancient 4) in the meantime, I was having to use my old Dell Inspiron (affectionately dubbed Satan, Prince of Cabaret); it weighed almost 8.5 lbs! 5) I get the Leopard OS from my Uni when it comes out. Perks of having a decent IT department/campus software agreement. ^_^

Basically, there was no merit to my waiting. Plus, I wanted the iPod rebate. ^_^

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.