Using Keyboard Commands?

Reaction score
Hey, as soon as Leopard is released, I'm getting the 20" iMac. Talk about waiting forever! Anyway, being a PC person, I hardly ever use the keyboard for any kind of command. Except for the infamous alt, ctrl, del quite frequently! :Grimmace:

As I've been reading, it seems as though SO MUCH (even eject) needs to be done thru a Mac keyboard. Is this actually true and if so, is there anyway around it? Or are just the folks with problems posting so it seems that way? (Hope that made an iota of sense). Thanks, Jennifer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
All things that can be done with Keyboard Commands/shortcuts can also be done with the mouse... the keyboard is just much quicker if you have become used to it.

No worries.... Eject is either press eject key... or Cmd+E, or right-click, select "Eject" :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Yh the keyboard commands are much easier than navigating your mouse all over the place...

Reaction score
I kinda like using Quicksilver. Its the ultimate tool to minimize the use of the mouse:)

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll ck out Quicksilver when I get my Mac. (Sorta waiting for Leopard, but am getting VERY antsy)! I might just order today since you all have Tiger or OS X (still don't know what the prefered term is) totally understand it and there may be a learning curve for those of us, even some current Mac users. Might make more sense. I'll use a diff thread or search for that info. Thanks again. Jennifer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Thanks guys. I'll ck out Quicksilver when I get my Mac. (Sorta waiting for Leopard, but am getting VERY antsy)! I might just order today since you all have Tiger or OS X (still don't know what the prefered term is) totally understand it and there may be a learning curve for those of us, even some current Mac users. Might make more sense. I'll use a diff thread or search for that info. Thanks again. Jennifer

Just for your, and others info...

OS X Refers to Operating System 10. This encompasses 10.0 (Puma), 10.2 (Jaguar), 10.3 (Panther), 10.4 (tiger / current), 10.5 (Leopard / next), 10.6....
So "Tiger" just refers to the specific current release of OS X (10.4), While "OS X" literally refers to ALL Versions 10.0 to 10.9.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
As an Apple newcomer only a year or so ago, I remember that it was intimidating (almost) to watch the sales guy at the Apple store zinging through tons of activities via the keyboard. I remember thinking "wait, this from the company that virtually invented the GUI?". Seemed kind of strange. So jennymac, I understand your concern and perhaps confusion.

But do rest assured that you can do it all from the GUI. The keyboard shortcuts are just that - shortcuts. But the scary thing is that you will get very, very used to them, very, very fast. I use them all the time now. I suspect that if someone was watching me day to day on my Mac, they would wonder that I do so much with the keyboard, just as I wondered about that Mac salesman a little over a year ago!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
As I've been reading, it seems as though SO MUCH (even eject) needs to be done thru a Mac keyboard. Is this actually true and if so, is there anyway around it? Or are just the folks with problems posting so it seems that way? (Hope that made an iota of sense). Thanks, Jennifer

Many of the people on this forum (and most other forum) are "power users" who use the keyboard to save every tenth of a second they can.

The Mac is the computer than introduced the mouse to everyday computing, and even today everything can be done with the mouse (and with only one button, at that!) However, there are a number of shortcuts that are helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
There's one on there I didn't see. the control+alt+command+eject to shutdown your mac without having to select the shutdown box. Did I miss it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.