using terminal for ftp

A

andreasD

hi i'm using Transmit as my ftp program, but lately its been going all screwy. it won't let me download my files from the server onto my computer. Anyways i'm trying to do all of it thru the terminal instead. i have managed to 'get [file]' from my server but am having trouble using 'put [file]'. i get a message that says 'ftp: local: images: No such file or directory'. i'm not sure where it is looking for the file. does anyone know where the terminal is searching for the file or folder you are trying to 'put'?

OP
C

CaptainMack

i believe, correct me if i am wrong, that os x can only look and get files and not put up files on your server.

OP
D

dr_springfield

CaptainMack, the OS X ftp cli has no problem with puts.

andreas, I didn't understand your post at first, but I reread it and I think I get it. Read the manpage for information on how to use ftp commands, or just type "put" alone in ftp for an interactive put.

OP
L

lowiqebot

this is what you need.....

andreasD said:
i get a message that says 'ftp: local: images: No such file or directory'. i'm not sure where it is looking for the file. does anyone know where the terminal is searching for the file or folder you are trying to 'put'?

When you are FTPing any file using the Terminal your files should be in your main hard drive /file. Just go ahead and use "get" and you will see that all the files you are getting from your server are saved on your home directory. Therefore just place any file you want to transfer in the same place. Open a window and find your file and drag it into the terminal after you have typed your 'put' command. You will see that the path is /your_file.

Terminal:
ftp> put /your_file

hope this works for you, good luck!!

~lowiqebot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.