quit applications before shut down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX Tiger, macbook
OK, here's the stupidest question of the year:
Do I have to quit all running applications before I shut down? Or will my Mac do that for me when I select 'shut down'? I just switched, and I know in windows it's better to stop all programs before you shut down. But somehow I have *great* expectations about mac, and hope this will work...
cheers!

Reaction score
Just shut it down.

Your Mac is clever enough to realise that, if you are shutting the machine down, you've probably finished using it :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I just slam my hands on the bottom left part of the keyboard (command+option+Contrl) and then hit the eject key. Does everything it needs to do...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
OK, here's the stupidest question of the year:
Do I have to quit all running applications before I shut down? Or will my Mac do that for me when I select 'shut down'? I just switched, and I know in windows it's better to stop all programs before you shut down. But somehow I have *great* expectations about mac, and hope this will work...
cheers!
In Windows you don't have to shut down all your programs. Just select shut down from the start menu and it shuts down after closing your programs.

To answer your question, no you don't have to quit applications before shut down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Unless you have an open, unsaved document in one of the running applications. Then you'll get the standard Save/Don't Save/Cancel dialog, which will prevent the shutdown until it's answered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
In Windows you don't have to shut down all your programs. Just select shut down from the start menu and it shuts down after closing your programs.

Windows XP can complain if you just turn the power off. With OS X you can just hold down the power button to shut down / restart and it will be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@alexis: What the! Are you seriously saying that one should press and HOLD the power button in OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I just slam my hands on the bottom left part of the keyboard (command+option+Contrl) and then hit the eject key. Does everything it needs to do...

Nice.

I just tap the power button, then hit enter, does the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its really convenient, this keyboard shortcut. You hit Command + Ctrl and Eject, and it restarts. Command + Option and Eject and it Sleeps. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes much faster than the power button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Command + Option and Eject and it Sleeps. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes much faster than the power button.

Not faster than closing the lid though... ;D

Seriously, I keep forgetting people have desktops... whenever anyone mentions Mac, I always think of a notebook.:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I still don't see the need to shut down the computer at all.
Just leave it running... at the very least put the display to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
I find that closing a few applications helps - sometimes it doesn't like to just close them all for me.
Probably word or excel doesn't like to close automatically. Windows technically should close every application on shut down even if it complains and does the program not responding garbage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
I still don't see the need to shut down the computer at all.
Just leave it running... at the very least put the display to sleep.

For one is a waste of electricity and our planet's resources :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
For one is a waste of electricity and our planet's resources :p
On average, most Macs use less electricity than a 60 Watt light bulb... a lot less.
Putting the computer's display to sleep drops that miniscule energy consumption even further.
Computers of any kind account for only an itty-bitty, teensy-weensy fraction of worldwide electrical use. Air conditioning, lighting, and refrigeration account for a LOT more. The myth that computers are exploding the demand for electricity was started by an article in Forbes Magazine, which has been debunked over and over by numerous scientific and collegiate groups.

Besides, the OS was designed to be left running 24/7. It is only natural to let it run the way it was intended. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course, I don't use the shortcut for sleep. I always use the remote to put the mac to sleep and yes, the lid shut on the iBook..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On average, most Macs use less electricity than a 60 Watt light bulb... a lot less.
Putting the computer's display to sleep drops that miniscule energy consumption even further.
Computers of any kind account for only an itty-bitty, teensy-weensy fraction of worldwide electrical use. Air conditioning, lighting, and refrigeration account for a LOT more. The myth that computers are exploding the demand for electricity was started by an article in Forbes Magazine, which has been debunked over and over by numerous scientific and collegiate groups.

Besides, the OS was designed to be left running 24/7. It is only natural to let it run the way it was intended. :)

Well I share your view that especially in sleep mode that they shouldn't use much power AT ALL. But I get given by my partner if I leave mine on - So I just comply and turn it off at the end of the day lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
@alexis: What the! Are you seriously saying that one should press and HOLD the power button in OS X?

LOL. Yep, as long as there's not much hard drive activity going on.

I've never seen any Mac harmed by this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook air 13", 256GB HD
Hey speaking of energy usage, I always leave my macbook plugged into the charger even when it's switched off i.e. the battery level is always 99/100%.

My question is, would this somehow cause the macbook battery to lose some of it's life? I like doing this cause if I ever need to take the macbook away from my desk, it'll always have full charge. If this is not good, then what is the most optimum way to run & charge to macbook to get the best life out of it's internal battery? e.g. do you have to fully de-charge the battery every once in a while?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.